Chapter 16: Off With Their Heads

Brand hated to admit it, but if he could swap his deceased father for his living mother, he would. Though his dad was around less, Brand idolized him and cherished each moment they spent together. As he stood over his grave, he wanted to weep but ran out of tears. It’s all he did over the last week, just weep and weep over his father’s death. His mom hugged her around him.

Brand looked up at her. “I hate death.”

“Nobody actually likes death but it exists and it’s painful.”

“I hate it for what it did to dad, but I’m ready to face it.”

Shirley furrowed her brows. “Why would you say that?”

“Because after I die I know dad will be waiting on the other side for me.”

“And what about me? Are you just going to leave me alone? I need you, Brand.”

Brand just wanted his father back, to hear his laugh. “You’ll meet up with us again.”

“Just promise me you won’t kill yourself.”

Brand knew the consequences of suicide. His granny thrilled bible scriptures into his head when was a kid. “I won’t.”

“Good,” Shirley hugged him closer. “Because if you do, I’ll ground you forever.”

As Brand stood with his back against the cafeteria buffet he realized he had changed. He wasn’t that hurt kid ready to face death anymore. Brand had too much here and though he loved his father, he knew the man would want him to enjoy all that he had. He looked right at John who stood frozen and was as pale as a ghost. To his left, Mo stood mumbling to herself and looking over to where the bits of her sister’s body remained. The hoard was approaching, Brand wasn’t ready to go. He had to do something.

“We have to fight,” He declared.

“I’m not ready to be alone,” Mo said. “I feel half dead without her. I’m stupid.”

“You’re not stupid,” Brand said.

“I spent so much time trying to get away from my sister. Now she’s forever gone.”

“Are you guys my friends,” John cut in.

“Of course we are,” Brand said.

John cracked a smiled. “I made friends. I get to die with friends.”

Brand’s spurt of hope faded. These two weren’t going to join him. “It’s over,” He breathed out.

A loud roaring engine and bright light could be seen through the barricade in the halls. Into the cafeteria rode a brown-skinned student on a motorcycle and armed with a fencing sword. He sped around the cafeteria on the bike using his weapon to behead the zombies. Once the hoard started to thin, Brand ran over to his flute, grabbed it and started to help the biker student fight. It wasn’t long before the two managed to clear the hoard. Brand ran over to the barricade and secured the cafeteria doors closed.

A panting Brand faced their hero who sat on his parked bike in the cafeteria. “Just…thank you.”

He smiled and raised his weapon. “No problem, I’m Kyle. So, what’s for lunch?”

Brand was feeling a rush of emotions. All he could do was shed tears.