Chapter 23 - Just A Prank

Chapter 23 – Just A Prank

John sat down on the main office couch with his head lowered. He had already explained the trip to the lab, but not what he did following taking the toxic frogs. Before him stood Mo, Brand, Nova and Kyle, their backs against the front desk, side by side. Outside zombies could be heard clawing against the office door and wall. This new development made them all forget their life was in constant danger. They desperately wanted to know why John did what he had done. He put their lives at risk and caused the deaths of hundreds. They were growing tired of his stalling.

“Just finish talking,” Mo said. “Don’t make us force you.”

 “We won’t get violent,” Kyle said. “He’s not guilty until we hear all of his side.”

Nova scoffed. “Oh please, this is his fault.”

“Still, give him a chance to talk,” Kyle said.

“He’s our friend,” Brand added. “He saved my life. John is a good person.”

Mo was finding it hard to hide the disgust in her face. “Saved one life and lost hundreds, including my sister’s.”

Brand couldn’t argue with her. He understood her anger. “Let’s just let him finish talk.”

Mo stumped her feet against the floor and shouted,” We’re the ones doing all the talking!”

“It was a prank,” John softly spoke out. He raised his head, making eye contact with them. “I’ve been tortured by Hector. He’s a horrible person no matter what anybody tries to say. I took those two infected frogs, hoping whatever they had would spread to Hector and cause him to freak out. It was his turn to learn how to be embarrassed. I helped Ms. Sissa place the frogs in her class that morning. Her seating chart was hard to read, so I wasn’t sure if Hector’s seat was on the front or back row, but luckily I had two frogs. From what Brand has said, the frog attacked Hector and he turned into a zombie. It then started to spread and now we’re here.” A tear streamed down John’s face. “I didn’t want this to happen. I just wanted a bully to get a taste of his own medicine. The scientist said they were testing an energy drink not some kind of insane zombie virus.”

Kyle held his hand up toward John. “Wait, you killed Hector?”

“I wasn’t planning on doing so. It was a mistake.”

Kyle folded his hand in a fist and placed it in front of his mouth. “He was my friend.”

“I’m sorry,” John said.

Kyle turned away. “I can’t even look at you.”

This was Brand or anybody’s first time seeing Kyle crack.

“I didn’t want any of this,” John said.

“I hope we all make it out alive because we all deserve to see you arrested,” Mo said.

Nova rolled her eyes. “I can’t believe I once liked you.”

Brand understood all of their pain and anger, but understood John made a mistake. It was a stupid one, but Brand simply couldn’t sit back and allow them to outcast him. Brand drew some inspiration from his father and prepared himself to take an unpopular but needed stance. He had to be brave.