Chapter 21: There's A U In Group

Chapter 21: There’s A U In Group

Nova remained hiding behind Kyle as she stared into the angry eyes of John. She knew those eyes.

A few months ago Nova, John and Hector were assigned a group science project. Nova was more excited about working with John, always secretly having a crush on him. She loved how shy and awkward he was and especially enjoyed his performance at the talent show. Still, she knew she was not as good looking as the other girls in school. Not only was she a ginger, but she had an extra bit of weight. She tried to work out, but between working and school she had no time.

As for working with Hector, she had little care for him. He was simply a bully. So many times her weight was the punch line for his jokes. She didn’t know how she ended up working with her favorite person but also her at least favorite. Technically, Hector wasn’t actually doing any work.

Nova and John sat at one of the library tables flipping through science books for ideas.

“How about we build an electronic castle,” Nova suggested.

“Or we can do something music related,” John said.

Nova had no musical talent. “We can combine our ideas.”

“How so?”

“What if we build an electronic castle that light up every time you hit certain keys?”

John’s face lit up. “Awesome, we can do a light show and music show at the same time.”

Nova would do anything to touch him. “High-five?”

He raised his hand and she smashed her palm against his. She could only smile and gush at his touch.

Hector, who sat on the opposite end of the table, raised his head. “I hate it.”

“Majority rules,” John said. “We’re doing our idea.”

“It’s stupid,” Hector insulted. “We’re doing a volcano because I said so.”

“There’s no I in team,” Nova nervously spoke up.

“But there’s a U in group,” Hector pointed out. “And I suggest you two shut up.”

“Stop being so immature,” John said. “We’re doing our idea.”

Hector stood from his seat, made his way over to John and smashed his head down on the table. “What?”

John tried to wrestle free. “Let me go.”

“I swear if you two build that castle I’ll wreck it. Volcano because I said so.”

The pressure was starting to hurt John’s head. “Fine, geez.  A volcano.”

Hector formed a smug grin and left the library. John stared back at him as he rubbed his sore cheek. At that moment, Nova saw a deep anger within John. The look in his eyes scared her as if he was planning on destroying the entire world just to bring Hector down. Nova questioned her crush on the boy she thought was such a kind soul.