Chapter 5 - Meat on Bread, Genius

Chapter 5 – Meat on Bread, Genius

Brand was very nervous about dinner tonight. He had some news for his mother that would bring back a memory of a man they lost. His father died three years ago after a bad mountain climbing accident. The man was filming a scene for his popular web documentary style show. Many days they got calls to the house from TV executives begging him to put his show on broadcast TV but he stayed loyal to the online format. Brand missed his father, but the man still lived on in his heart.

“Mo…,” Brand set down his fork. “I’m starting a webshow.”

She laughed as she sipped her wine. “No.”

“It’s what I want to do. I want to be like dad.”

“I said no,” She sternly repeated. “Do you remember how that show consumed his life?”

“Yeah, but it’s what made my dad special from all other dads. He entertained many and I want to do so also.”

“Brand you freak out at the sight of roaches. I can’t imagine you doing some of the crazy things your dad did.”

Brand shrugged away her negativity. “I’m doing it.”

“Fine, but then you’re going to find a way to pay the internet bill because I won’t support this decision.”

Brand got his first job once he entered the ninth grade. He washed dishes at a diner and that helped him fund his webshow. As he would film, he conquered a lot fears. He talked about topics many considered taboo and he ventured into parts of town most of his friends ‘parents considered off limits. Today, Brand conquered another fear that he didn’t even know would be possible, he killed a zombie.

John finished his half and sandwich. He avoided look at Mr. Rogers’ body the entire evening. “That was good.”

“My mom made it. She’s a genius at putting meat on bread.”

John laughed. “Cool and also thank you for dealing with…well.”

Brand nodded at Mr. Rogers’ body. “Him?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t do it. He was a very good teacher and a friend of mine.”

“I understand. So, how long are we camping here?”

“We should move now. I don’t know if my music playing attracted zombies to this area.”

Brand put on his backpack and stood from the floor. “Yeah, let’s try to hit the main office while we’re still fill.”

They left the music room, armed with some flutes they could use to defend themselves. Brand and John chatted to themselves until they made a left through a set of red double doors. Behind the doors waited an entire hallway of zombie-students. No time for dramatic screams, John and Brand instantly ran in the opposite direction as the hoard chased after them. They arrived to a dead-end that was blocked by a collapsed trophy case. Helpless, they started throwing trophies at the zombies.

“Hey, down here,” A female voice shouted.

They looked down to discover a blonde girl in a vent motioning for them to climb in. No other way to go, they quickly fled to the vent. Once they were inside, she closed up the vent the moment the zombies reached area. The zombie-students growled as they try to break in but the vent was secured.

She pointed forward down the ventilator shaft. “Go, idiots,” She shouted.

“Actually, it’s John and he’s Brand,” John clarified as he pointed to Brand and back to himself.

“Awesome,” Their savior sarcastically said. “I’m Carey; now crawl before you become zombie Brand and John.”

They listened to Carey’s command and started their journey through the tight, dark ventilator shaft.