Chapter 12 - Chaos on the inside, Chaos on the outside?

Chapter 12 – Chaos on the inside, Chaos on the outside?

Mo always struggled with being a twin and having an actually social life. She had a set of friends she could hang out with on the weekends, while her sister made all her friends online. Mo felt sorry for her sister many weekends, but realized though they were twins they would grow apart. They would marry different men, have different kids and lead different lives. One Saturday tested Mo though; it was the Saturday of their 15th birthday.

“I’m going out to see a movie with my friends,” Mo said.

Her mother continued to decorate their birthday. “After the birthday dinner, right?”

“Mom, the movie starts at seven. I’m not going to have time for the dinner.”

“It’s tradition. We’ve always ate as family for your birthdays then rented DVDs.”

Mo shrugged. “Well, not anymore.”

“Gia agreed to the dinner.”

“Because she doesn’t have anywhere to go.”

Gia entered the kitchen. “I heard that. I can go out if I needed to,” She said angered.

“I’m not saying you can’t,” Mo clarified.

“How about you two go the movies together and then come back for dinner,” Their mother suggested.

“No,” Mo protested. “She wouldn’t fit in with my friends.”

Mo hung out with the girls from the dance team; they came from more urban backgrounds.

“It’s ok, I don’t want to go anyways, “Gia said as she hunched her shoulders and returned to her room.

“Mom, I can’t believe you just put me in that situation.”

“It was just a suggestion. I wasn’t expecting you to react that way. I thought you two were close.”

“We are,” Mo said, “But people change. We grow up and apart. Gia and I only share a face now.”

Mo had ended up heading to the movies with her friends. Still, as she had sat there in the theater she could only wonder about her sister. Mo had a strong urge to become an individual, but moments like this proved it was going to be a difficult task. She had to stop missing her sister when she wasn’t around.

Brand watched and Gia, Mo and Carey as they sat a lunch table chatting. It had been over three hours since they found the cafeteria. His stomach was full and ankle was feeling a lot better. Though growling could still be heard outside the cafeteria barricade, he felt safe here and judging by the girl’s laughter and smiles they felt the same. He noticed John sitting alone on the other side cafeteria, staring out a window into the night.

Brand joined him. “What are you looking at?”

John pointed toward the narrow road that separated the school property form the main highway. “It’s weird.”

“The road?”

“No, that nobody came to pick us up from school. No parents, no buses, it’s just weird.”

Brand wondered the same thing, but feared his own theory. “What if...”

“…I know what you’re going to say. What if they’re dealing with the same problem we’re having?”

Brand nodded. “One of those frogs could’ve escaped through a pipe and spread chaos.”

“Not getting an answer will drive me crazy. We need to discuss our next move. Talk with the girls.”

Brand nodded in an agreement. There was no point wonder ‘what if’. The time for relaxing and laughing was over; it was time for them to get back on track. Things changed, they added more members to their group and the twins deserved to hear their plan and add input.