Chapter 19 - Ride or Die

Chapter 19 – Ride or Die

Kyle worked great under pressure. When it was time to act, he was never tardy. Tonight, it was up to him to sink the final basket that would win the team their final game of the year. He was out most of the season with an ankle injury, but worked with the coach. Kyle watched so many basketball games on DVD and got to know his teammates’ weak points. This made it easy for him to help make plays. Tonight, they needed a three pointer and he could sink them like a boat.

“Are you going to be able to do this,” the coach asked.

Kyle tried to stand on his bad ankle. “It hurts but not as much as a loss would.”

The coach smiled. “We need more athletes like you in the world.”

“I don’t think one athlete can carry a team. Just wish for more teams like ours.”

“You make a good point. That’s something you’re good at.”

Kyle was used to praise. It doing little for his ego. “Coach, I’m ready to get out there.”

He did his best to get on the court without appearing injured. That required walking on his broken ankle normally; it feeling as if somebody dumped glass in his shoes. He huddled with the team and they came up with a plan. All Kyle had to do was make it to the three-pointer line and they would pass him the ball. If his ankle slowed they agreed to stall. The team broke and went to work.

The moment the referee blew his whistle, Kyle started down the court. His ankle was feeling even worse. He even started to drag his feet a little and was seeing red spots before his eyes. Still, he had to win this for his team and carried on. It felt as if the trip was endless but he met the three-pointer line and Hector passed him the ball. He aimed for the basket but the red dots were distracting him. Kyle shut his eyes and relied on a memory of the basket’s position for aim. He slightly leapt, sent the ball flying from his hand and heard a swoosh.

Kyle dropped to the court and opened his eyes to discover his team jumping around and celebrating.

Today he found himself once again ready to put it all on the line. Kyle sat on his motorcycle armed with his weapon. John and Brand removed the barricade and were waiting for the moment to open the cafeteria doors. Kyle needed a few minutes to prepare himself mentally for a bloody drive towards the main office. He was the ball and the office was the hoop.

“Alright, I’ll kill all that I can,” Kyle said. “You three follow and kill the left overs.”

Mo held some knives they were going to use to battle. “Let’s just get this done. It’s revenge time.”

Kyle nodded at Brand and John. “Open the doors…now!”

They pulled the cafeteria doors opened and Kyle rode off. He did his best to drive steady and behead each zombie he passed in the hall. A few feet behind him, Brand, John and Mo ran with their knives, killing the zombies he left behind. Bits of blood splattered on Kyle’s face as he continued his journey, making it a bit difficult for him to see. He could see the entry for the main office up ahead and a crowd of zombies roamed before the door. Kyle leaped from the bike and sent it speeding down the hall, crashing into the zombies and through the main office door.

Mo, Brand and John arrived in time to help him to his feet. The gang kept stabbing and kicking their way forward until they finally arrived at the main office. Quickly, the pushed the wreckage of the bike aside and used the motorcycle to barricade the door closed. It was now official, they arrived to their destination. It was time to make contact.