Chapter 3

---------- Chapter 3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)

               “Mother, father, I have something important to say,” I murmur over the classical music that floats through the entire room.

               “Before that, your mother told me you rejected yet another young lady,” my father chastises sombrely.

               “Yes, I did. I’ve told the both of you countless times, I am not lonely, I do not need a companion. The only person I need just turned 17. And that’s what I want to talk to you about,” I trail off unable to wipe the happy smile off my face.

               “Things are different this time, honey. What if she doesn’t love you?” my mother asks. Does she not realise how painful her words are?

I grimace a little and ponder my answer. “I’ll win her over then. I did it the last time, I’m pretty sure I can do it again this time. But like I said, I need to talk to the both of you. Skylar is in high school and she just turned 17. I think it’s time for me to go down to earth,” I murmur.

               “Haden...your duties!” my father reminds me primly.

               “It’ll be like before. You send me my assignments through a messenger and I’ll take care of everything. I promise I’ll be more efficient this time. She won’t be living with me, so I won’t have to wait for her to fall asleep before setting off,” I reason.

Mother and father share a look before sighing in defeat. I grin in victory as I quickly cross the crowded ballroom. I grab onto Alex’s coat and pull him out with me.

               “Hey!” he protests loudly. “I was this close to getting a girlfriend!”

               “Yeah, well, life sucks. Deal with it,” I joke quietly.

               “Someone’s in a good mood! Did we finally find an eligible young lady who doesn’t turn your stomach?” he asks teasingly.

               “Hardly. I’m going back to earth! Skylar just turned 17. I think now’s the perfect time to re-enter her life,” I inform him seriously.

               “Earth eh? I have to admit, I’ve kind of missed it,” he comments nonchalantly. By this time we’re in the library which is, as expected, empty save for Matt who is pouring over some books.

Alex grins and saunters over to Matt, hoping on to the table. “You are possibly the only person who would hole himself up in a library while a ball takes place,” Alex murmurs disapprovingly.

               “Not true! I would have preferred being in here rather than being pawed by the desperate ladies out there,” I mutter conversationally, taking the seat opposite Matt.

               “Alright, to what do I owe the pleasure boys?” Matt asks, smiling slightly. He looks extremely tired. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him around in ages!

               “Matt, what has my father been making you do? You look like you haven’t slept in days!” I point out.

               “I haven’t. His Majesty wants me to...resurface some old things,” he mumbles cryptically.

               “Gee! Thanks for being so open about it to us. It’s not like we’ve been friends since forever!” Alex mutters pointedly.