Chapter 65

---------- Chapter 65 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Damn it! Where in the world is that incessant beeping coming from?!

Beep

Beep

Beep

               “Ugh!” I groan under my breath. I roll over to my side to hopefully block out the sound. Instead, this sharp pain stabs across my arm and I moan quietly, opening my eyes.

A pair of fair arms rolls me back onto my back.

I blink my eyes a couple of times, trying to figure out what’s going on.

I’m in an austere white room. The bed I’m lying on is uncomfortable and thing and there are metal bars around the edges.

I look to my left and see my mum and dad peering at me intently. To my right, stand Connor and Summer. All four of them are wearing worried expressions on their faces.

               “What’s going on?” I ask, my throat dry.

               “Are you alright, honey?” mum asks, dropping her voice to a whisper.

               “Hurts,” I mumble, trying to recollect what happened to land me in a hospital. And then it comes crashing back to me. Haden. Sean. Wraiths.

Without thinking, I sit up before I release a low moan of pain. My whole body hurts! It’s crazy! Everything from the roots of my hair to the tips of my toe nails hurt!

               “Lie down, baby girl,” dad instructs, pushing me down gently.

               “Why are we here and not in Persephone?” I ask. It doesn’t make sense. Wouldn’t the healers in Persephone make me feel better quickly?

Mum and dad share an uneasy look and I tense up, hissing as my muscles ache. “Haden decided it would be best for you here.”

               “I don’t get it,” I admit, closing my eyes for a moment. “Where’s he?”

Connor nods his head over at the corner of the room. I crane my neck painfully and see Haden sitting down on it uncomfortable, his eyes closed and his head hanging back.

               “I’ll wake him up for you,” Summer volunteers.

               “No! Let him sleep. How is he? Why does he get to sit on the chair while I’m on the bed hooked up to all these machines?” I ask moodily.

               “He managed to convince the hospital staff that he was fine and stuff, just bruises and what not. He’s got a honey tongue, that boy. So he disappeared off to Persephone and returned good as new,” Connor answers.

I bite on my lower lip. Why didn’t he take me along?

               “How long have I been out?” I ask instead.

               “One week sweetie. You were moaning in pain, so we asked the doctors to up the pain meds and you sort of slept through everything. Your cuts are almost all healed now,” dad says.

I whistle lowly. One week? And they’ve been here every day? No wonder they look so tired!

               “You guys should go home and rest. I’m fine. Really,” I whisper.