Chapter 24

---------- Chapter 24 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The feeling of Haden’s gentle lips on my forehead lingers as I close the door. I lean back against it, feeling the butterflies in my stomach.

I’m in such a huge hole right now! You know you’re in trouble when the mere sight of a guy – not your boyfriend- clenches your stomach up in knots.

               “Hmm…interesting,” Connor smirks, watching me.

I blush furiously. I was so wrapped up in my own world that I didn’t even realize Connor was on the couch.

               “How are you feeling?” I demand, pressing my palm against his forehead.

               “So-so,” he shrugs, still looking a little weak. “But don’t change the topic little sister! What was with the dreamy look on your face…and is that blood?!” he suddenly demands, jumping up to look at me.

His eyes immediately narrow down on my bruised face, running his fingers lightly under my bruised eye.

               “What happened?” he insists, pulling me down on the couch beside him.

               “I’m fine. Really. It doesn’t even feel so bad,” I whisper dreamily, my thoughts still far away…judging by how fast Haden drives, my thoughts would be about at the bakery shop by now.

               “Well, that’s good. I guess? Have you taken some painkillers or anything?” he asks gently, wincing as he assesses the damage.

I nod my head, smiling sheepishly. And Haden’s effect on me is starting to fade off a little, I can feel the pain beginning to set in.

               “Another cheerleading accident?” Connor prods, pulling me back to reality.

               “Sort of,” I shrug, getting up.

               “Sure seems like cheerleading is more dangerous than playing football, huh?” he teases, smiling warmly at me before turning to the tiny television.

               “Not true! Remember when Mike knee’d Haden in the face? That was pretty nasty,” I mumble nonchalantly.

               “I knew it!” Connor suddenly exclaims, crossing the room to stand opposite me. “The guy at the door just now…it was Haden, wasn’t it?” he asks, cocking a brow.

I blush a little before nodding my head.

               “And you’re all ditzy and dreamy right now…oh my god! Are you in love with him?!” Connor whispers, dropping his voice, watching me intently.

I take a deep breath and face my brother, allowing all the conflicting emotions to show on my face. Hey, if you can’t trust your own family, who can you trust, right?

               “I don’t know,” I finally admit.

Connor purses his lips as he strokes his chin thoughtfully. “I suppose he is better than Dixon,” he finally murmurs, smiling slightly.

I sigh impatiently. “Con, I’m still with Dixon,” I mumble.

And that’s when Connor truly looks surprised, his eyebrows shoot so high up that they’re in real danger of disappearing under his hair.

               “Skye!” he finally exclaims, sounding frustrated.

I drop my gaze, feeling ashamed of myself.