Chapter 1

---------- Chapter 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Mum?” I repeat when it becomes apparent that she’s not about to answer me.

Instead of answering, or even acknowledging that I’m here, mum turns on her heels and walks out of the room, switching the lights off behind her.

I blink in surprise before hurrying out after her.

               “Mum!” I call curiously as I walk into the living room. “What’s wrong?”

Dad, Summer and Connor stare at me curiously while mum continues ignoring me.

               “What’s the matter baby girl?” dad asks, standing up and walking over to me. He throws a curious look in mum’s direction as if trying to figure out what was going on.

               “I was in your room...in the closet and there’s a pile of presents in there,” I explain quietly. “I thought they were for this birthday so I didn’t really pay much attention to it. But when there were only three presents on the table today...I got a little curious. So I went back into the closet and all the presents were for me. Only, they were for every single birthday since I turned one. Mum caught me in the closet and she just walked off.”

I notice dad stiffen a little. What in the world?

               “Wait...so like...the presents are from different years?” Connor asks, scratching his head in confusion. I nod my head.

               “Did they say who they were from?” Summer butts in.

               “Umm, well, the card always said Love, HC,” I murmur, closely studying my parents’ expressions.

Yeah, they are definitely hiding something from me.

               “Why didn’t you give me my presents? And who’s HC?” I ask quietly.

               “Baby, mum and I have something to tell you,” dad murmurs ominously.

I swallow in nervousness. Why do I have the feeling that I’m not going to like what he’s about to tell me?

               “Sweetie...you remember how when you were younger you used to cuddle up with me and cry your little eyes out because you didn’t look like Summer and Connor?” mum asks gently.

I nod my head. “You told me that I was unique and special. I was supposed to be happy about that and not compare.”

               “Yes, I did say that, didn’t I?” mum whispers. “You see, you were a little girl at that time, and I didn’t know how to tell you...” she trails off.

               “Tell me what?” I demand, my voice jumping up an octave.

               “Please bear in mind that your father and I love you very, very much,” she pleads. “The reason you don’t look like Summer or Connor is because you’re adopted, sweetie.”

I exhale in relief. That’s it?

               “I know mum. I’ve known for a couple years now,” I admit sheepishly.

               “What?!” both mum and dad chorus in unison.

               “Yeah. I’m not a little girl anymore. I figured something had to be up...and I also realised you didn’t have any photographs of me in the hospital right after I was born. Then I checked my birth certificate...I know,” I mumble awkwardly.