Chapter 40

---------- Chapter 40 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I trudge up the stairs to my flat tiredly. Haden had dropped me off but oddly enough, he didn’t offer to walk me up like he usually does.

He’s up to something for sure. He’s been acting all secretive for a while now.

At least I hope it’s him being secretive.

You see, the sudden change in attitude occurred after that night in the flat when I told him I wouldn’t move in with him.

Maybe he’s just angry at me? Maybe this is him being all distant?

Sighing to myself, I unlock the front door and collapse on the couch. I really don’t want him mad at me!

I understand why he wants me to move in with him. He wants to protect me. And while I do appreciate that, he must surely understand why I’m apprehensive.

Problem 1: He’s a guy. I’m a girl.

Problem 2: He’s a very, very attractive guy!

Problem 3: He lives with his best friends who can’t possibly want me around. Again.

Problem 4: Dad would probably disown me.

Problem 5: He lives in a hotel on the other side of town! Do you realize how early I’ll have to wake up to get to school or how much earlier I’d have to leave to get to work on time?

And the biggest problem of all…we’d be in such close proximity. As it is – even here in my flat – we can’t help but to get wrapped up with each other.

What would happen on the weekends? 24 full hours of Haden? So very tempting!

I groan loudly trying to remind myself that I’m not supposed to want to move in with him!

               “Hey Skye!” Summer chirps, walking into the room with a basket in her hands and one of her better sun dresses on.

               “Why are you so dressed up?” I ask teasingly. Maybe she has a big date?

               “A new family’s just moved in downstairs. Mum wants to pop down and say hi. So here I am, carrying the basket of cookies mum baked,” she murmurs, shrugging easily.

               “New family, huh? Any hot son you’re trying to impress?” I waggle my eyebrows suggestively.

Summer swats me playfully before turning serious again. “Mum said it’s a couple of young guys. She said they look awful familiar though.”

A couple of young guys?

Could it be a coincidence that less than a week ago a couple of guys came to the flat looking for me?

It seems awfully suspicious.

               “Maybe we shouldn’t welcome them,” I whisper, my heart beat kicking up a notch.

Calm down, Skye.

It could just be a coincidence! It could be a nice gay couple! They probably have no idea who you are anyway!

               “What? Why?” Summer asks looking perplexed. “We always welcome the new neighbors.”

               “Yeah, you’re right,” I mumble. “I’m just going to my room.”

I slink away, closing the room door behind me.

Even if these are the guys looking for me, they won’t know mum and Summer. So long as I don’t show my face, maybe they won’t make the connection.