chapter 23

---------- Chapter 23 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “Are you avoiding me now?” Dixon demands, blocking the exit of the changing room.

            “Actually, I am,” I admit truthfully, taking a step back.

            “Why? Why can’t we talk through this? It’s been two days! You haven’t said a word to me in two days!” he mutters crossly.

            “I know. I can count,” I snap before shaking my head. “Look, I’m sorry…but I’m sorting things out. I’m waiting for you to calm down so we can talk like adults.”

            “Me to calm down? Me?! You’re the one who’s been ditzy!” he accuses.

            “And this is what I mean. I don’t need to stand around and get insulted by you, alright?” I mumble, pulling my hair into a quick ponytail. “Excuse me,” I murmur pointedly, gesturing to the door.

            “Okay, fine…I’m sorry sweetie! I really am. I miss you so much! Can we talk things through later today? After practice? I’ll take you to dinner?” he offers.

            “I’d love to, but make it a drink in the evening. I have things to do at night,” I murmur, giving him a tentative smile.

I see suspicion spark in his eyes, but he doesn’t press the matter. He nods his head, kisses my cheek and gets out of my way.

I head to the field where most of the girls are already assembled. Coach should be coming around anytime now.

Across the field, the football guys are stretching and warming up. I can’t help but notice that Haden and Alex are tossing the ball to each other, warming up. Alex spots me and gestures to Haden who whirls around, watching me for a moment before smiling at me.

I give him a small smile before turning my back on him, paying the utmost attention to Rebecca’s story about makeup. Yawn!

            “So? You are coming tonight, aren’t you?” Ashley asks me bluntly.

            “Tonight? What’s going on tonight?” I ask, stretching a little.

            “It’s Haden’s party. You have to go! You don’t ever join us for parties anymore,” she accuses bitterly.

            “I’m sorry, but I’m busy,” I mumble, shrugging.

            “With what? What are you constantly busy with, huh? What is it that is so important that you never even try to hang out with your friends?” she demands, hands on hips.

            “You wouldn’t understand,” I mutter.