Chapter 4

---------- Chapter 4 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Hi Skylar!” a freshman calls out to me nervously as I pass her.

I shoot her a quick smile as I walk past her, heading for my cliques’ hang out spot.

               “Oo! I love your jacket Skye!” Emma squeals the moment she sees me, getting off the bench.

Connor smirks and allows the cheerleaders to surround me to compliment my jacket as he heads over to chill with the football guys.

               “ Where did you get it?!” Kirsty asks, looking excited.

               “It was a birthday present,” I admit honestly.

               “Oh my god! Coolest birthday present ever! It must have cost a couple of thousands!” she exclaims fondly.

I nearly choke at that. A couple of thousands?! Seriously?! I never even went into the shop to check the price. I knew there was no way I could afford it! Why would some person who doesn’t even know me send me such an expensive gift?!

I smile and nod my head as the girls discuss haute couture, all the while wondering who this HC person is.

               “Hey sweetie!” Dixon greets, pushing through the crowd of girls to wrap his arms around my waist.

               “Hey,” I murmur back, smiling in spite of myself. “Did you forget something Dixon?”

He looks a little panicky as he tries to figure out what he could have possibly forgotten.

               “It was her birthday yesterday, you blundering idiot!” Connor hisses from behind us on the bench.

Dixon doesn’t take offence though, he merely lets his mouth drop in shock. Yup! He can’t believe he’s forgotten my birthday, again!

               “I’m so sorry!” he murmurs, nuzzling my neck. His voice is so full of regret that I can’t bring myself to hold this over him as leverage.

               “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it!” I comfort, leaning back against him.

               “Let me take you out for dinner tonight? Or after school? Please! I have to make it up to you, sweetie!” he begs softly. I hear a couple of the guys chuckle at how forgetful he is, but it’s fine. It’s one of those things I’ve come to expect about him.

Hmm, this afternoon...what day is it? Oh crap! “Umm, I can’t make it this afternoon. Maybe tonight?” I suggest, squirming a little. It’s Monday. I work as a waitress in a restaurant out of town every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Naturally, none of my friends know this.

               “What’s up this afternoon?” he asks curiously.

               “Family obligations,” I blurt out quickly.

               “Okay,” he murmurs, satisfied. This is one of the best things about Dixon, he never pushes me to tell him anything. “I’ll pick you up from your place?” he asks.

               “No. I’ll meet you in town, okay?” I bargain. I’ve never let anyone visit my home. Nobody even knows where I live or that Connor and I take the public bus to school every morning.

Wow...my life is just one huge pretence, isn’t it?

               “Hey Dixon, the principal wants to see you!” a senior calls.