Chapter 17

Regina woke up the next morning to a wave of nausea that left her feeling hot and weak. She wondered when the beautiful part of pregnancy would show up. All she had experienced so far was nothing, but a heart filled with insecurities and an empty stomach. The last thing she remembered was laying her head down for a moment after finishing a cup of tea. She had been stripped down to her camisole and boy shorts, her hair was put up into a loose lopsided ponytail. Regina laughed at Christian's failed attempt as she took down the ponytail. She gave him an 'A' for effort because he knew how much she hated to have her hair down as she slept. Walking out of the bathroom, she spotted her suitcase placed in the corner of the room.

Does this mean I can stay? She wondered as she rifled through the suitcase and found an outfit to put on before taking a shower.

*****

"Crap!" Christian exclaimed as he tossed the pot filled with burnt sausages into the sink. It was the third batch of sausages, he couldn't get his mind on the meal he was preparing. His mind was on the woman upstairs carrying his child. He had no words in his vocabulary that were efficient enough to express how he was feeling. Finally giving up on the home cooked meal, he settled for frozen hash-browns and scrambled eggs. Christian could hear Regina moving around upstairs and he thought about when he had put her to bed last night. It felt different holding her in his arms knowing that she was carrying his child and that she didn't want it.

"Something is burning." Regina said softly pulling Christian away from his thoughts. Christian looked up at her and saw her standing across from him looking very uncomfortable.

"I was trying to make some sausages." He confessed making her laugh.

"You know you have no place in the kitchen." She said as she walked around the island to him and nudged him out of the way. Christian watched silently as Regina went to work preparing breakfast and he thought about how he should learn how to cook more than just hash-browns and eggs if he was going to raise a family.

"Bon appetite," she said placing a plate full of cheesy eggs, hash-browns, and sausages before sitting across from him with only a cup of tea and two pieces of lightly buttered whole grain toast.

"Why aren't you eating?" he asked as he surveyed her plate knowing that Regina had an appetite on her.

"I am eating." She said holding up her plate of toast for emphasis.

"You usually eat more than that are you feeling alright?"

"I'm fine." She said with a shrug as she stuffed a piece of toast into her mouth as she stared blankly at him.

"You usually eat more than that." He repeated.

"You're child doesn't like breakfast apparently." She said dryly as she bit into her toast and gave him a look that dared him to say something else about it.

The doorbell rang and Christian went to answer the door, Regina could hear him talking to another man and she could tell it was something serious. Regina finished up her messily breakfast and proceeded to wash the dishes when Christian finally returned he was fully dressed.

"I have to go out," he said roughly causing Regina to look up at him and she could tell that he was upset.

"What's wrong?"

"It's nothing, just stay inside until I get back. Don't open the door for anyone." He said before walking out of the kitchen leaving Regina confused. With a sigh she finished drying off the dishes and put them away before she gave Sandra a call. The minute Regina heard her voice she let out a sigh and allowed her body to relax.

"What's wrong baby?"

"I don't know how to talk to him, he's really upset."

"I would expect so and he has every right to be. Just talk to him calmly."