Chapter 28

"You said a small shopping, why is the trunk filled with groceries?" Darrell asked Sandra as he greeted her.

"We needed more than I thought." she said handing a grocery bag to him. "Plus I bought some things to take to Gina." She continued to hand him grocery bags as Darrell just gazed at her with pure amazement and love in his eyes.

"What's that look all about?" she smiled up at him as she wondered what he was thinking about.

"Have I told you how much I love and appreciate you?"

"Not today." she laughed.

"I really mean it. You took Regina as your own, with no questions asked. You will never know how much that means to me."

"I couldn't ask for a better family" —she stood on the tip of her toes and kissed his lips—"now let's get these groceries in before you reduce me in to a puddle of tears." She said as she walked towards the stairs.

"Yes ma'am." Darrell chuckled as he started to follow behind her.

"Hello Darrell." a familiar voice greeted him stopping him in his tracks. Darrell turned around and it took everything within him not groan as he stared at his ex-wife. It had been years since they had last seen each other. Melanie still looked the same as the day she left him with the exception of a few age line around her eyes and forehead.

"Hello Melanie, what are you doing here?" he asked as he dropped the bags in his hands before approaching her. He had gotten over the hurt and anger he had for the woman years ago but it was never easy seeing her again.

"I'm apologize for dropping by unannounced I am just at my wits end about how to deal with our daughter."

"Darrell what's taking you so long honey, there's ice cream in—"Sandra stopped when she saw Melanie and immediately knew that their peaceful afternoon was over. "—Honey is everything alright?" she asked as she stood next to him.

"Yes sweetheart everything is fine. This is Melanie Hammond Regina's mother. Melanie allow me to introduce you to my wife Sandra."

"It's nice to meet you, I had heard you had remarried congratulations." Melanie said shaking Sandra's hand. "I apologize for stopping by like this I just needed to talk to Darrell for a moment."

"Would you like to come in for some tea while Darrell finishes bringing in the groceries?" Sandra asked shocking Darrell, before he could interject the women were heading towards the house.

After bring in the groceries Darrell found Sandra and Melanie chatting away in the living room.

"All finished honey?" Sandra asked as Darrell settled into the seat next to her.

"Yes ma'am" he said kissing her cheek.

"Melanie was just showing me pictures of her children, her daughter looks just like Regina." Sandra showed him the pictures in his hand and he was surprised by how much she really did look like Regina.

"She's beautiful," he said handing the picture back to her.

"Thank you, I really am sorry about popping up like this but I really don't know what to do about our girl. She refuses to listen to a thing I say." Melanie confessed. Sandra bit her tongue not wanting to exacerbate the situation by commenting that Regina wasn't her girl. Sandra felt like it was best if she removed herself from the situation using the excuse of preparing dinner to get away.

"I hope I'm not causing you any trouble showing up like this." Felicia said noticing how uncomfortable Sandra had become.

"Why are you here Melanie? You know Regina is just as stubborn as you are, once she makes up her mind there really is no changing it."