Chapter 24

Soundtrack: The Yardbirds - For Your Love (1965)

Dedication: Meagan — I see you voting for chapters of Tangerine all the time in my notifications. I really appreciate it, more than you know. Thanks for the support :) — Jen

FYI: This is the latest chapter re-write! Enjoy :)

·

I told Louise that I understood, but I didn't entirely mean it.

Yes, I realise that shit would hit the fan if word got out about Louis and me. I've got to hide our involvement, because it's my job. I've got to hide most of my personal relationships, because it's my job. However, simultaneously, it's not a huge priority of mine.

I know I should do the right thing. I know I should zip my lip and pretend we're all friends living in a friendly world doing friendly things that friendly friends do.

But it's not like that.

It never was.

I just don't understand why I'm allowed to socialise with Harry in public, yet when it comes to Louis, we can barely high five.

Maybe if I was initially spotted with my actual crush, things would have turned out differently.

·

We flew from London to Glasgow the night of our first concert back on tour. Between morning's promotion and evening's soundcheck — this time, actually including my full band — we're all allotted some free time in the beautiful country of Scotland.

So, I took Niall's advice and decided to message Naomi.

A conversation turns into a phone call, which turns into a laptop video chat. It's not long before Naomi turns our conversation to the massage chair party and how we met — specifically, certain things that happened shortly after we met. Obviously not forgetting to throw in a broken record mention of my current situation with Harry.

Obviously.

"So, what's going on with you two?" a smirk forms on Naomi's lips as soon as she mentions the younger lad. "Are you, like, a thing now?"

I brush off the matter for what feels like the hundredth time: "We're just friends."

"No, you look at him as just a friend," Naomi corrects me.

I chuckle. "I'm his friend too, Naomi."

"You can't even say that," she huffs out a laugh.

My brows reflexively furrow. "Why not?"

"Scarlet," she looks at me seriously, "he said he wanted to kiss you."

"Actually, he asked if I would kiss him," I correct her, finding it best to ignore the fact that any of it even happened.

"You're acting as if that's such a difference," Naomi claims.

"It is," I state.

Naomi rolls her eyes, laughing. "The offer was still there!"

"That doesn't even count!" I laugh out loud.

"How does it not count?!" Naomi looks at me incredulously. I can tell she's not accepting a single word I'm saying, but I really don't care.

"We were drunk!" I stress, casually trying to make a point.

Naomi smiles along with me deliberately. It takes her a moment to form her thoughts before speaking again. "Were you sober the first time you and Louis kissed?"