Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Liz:

 Monday

First day of officially being Vince’s fiancé. Sigh. I think I’m starting to regret the day I said yes to him.

I skipped school today to spend time with my parents; they’ll be flying back to England tonight. And since their flight was in the evening, we’ve got the whole day for our bonding.

We spent the day at the hotel. We ate breakfast together in the morning; spent hours taking wacky pictures on my phone (yes, we love taking pictures); and helped Mom prepare lunch during the noon.

After lunch, Dad suggested a game. I don’t remember the exact name he called it. Here’s how it goes: he placed a small box about six feet away from our ‘line’, handed me a deck of playing cards and instructed’ “The one who shoots most playing cards to the hat over there wins the game.” And chuckled.

My jaw dropped after hearing that. I let out a slight laugh and reacted, “You’ve got to be kidding me Dad.”

He laughed so hard at my reply. “It’s called ‘challenge’.” Holding his own deck, he positioned himself on the line and looked intently on the hat, aiming to shoot.

Situations like this really make me laugh. I mean both Mom and Dad act like they weren’t professionals at all. Who would even think that an owner of one of the most powerful companies like Dad would ever come up with such games? Ha-ha. This is typically like us – no pretense, just having fun. No pretense huh.

Mom is busy working in the kitchen baking some brownies and cookies while Dad and I are still trying our very best to shoot at least one playing card on the hat.

The smell of the freshly baked cookies and brownies made Dad and I rush to the kitchen area.

My eyes widened at the sight of them; they just don’t look delicious, they’re utterly plenty!

“Uhm, Mom…” I started. “…you’re not trying to feed the whole city, are you?”

Mom laughed. “What are you saying?”

“Don’t tell me I have to eat all of them!? Mom…” I pleaded. “..I can’t.”  Alright, I said that because Mom, when she gets overly joyful, bakes cookies and unfortunately, I have to eat them even I’m full.

“Don’t worry, honey.” She pulled a box and filled them with brownies and cookies. “Here, these are for your fiancé Vince.”

Oh, I almost forgot. I was so blissful the whole time that I forget that I am already engaged.

I smiled, sadly though, to Mom and nodded.

I am quietly eating my share of cookies when Dad broke the silence. “Oh, I think we need to get ready.”

Mom agreed.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After minutes of car travel to the airport, we finally got there.

Honestly, I felt the urge to go with them. I miss home, I miss my library, my babies (by this I mean my stuff toys, I usually talk to them because aside from Mom and Dad and Sebastian, there’s no one I could talk to), and of course, I’m gonna miss my parents.

Dad must’ve noticed my silence that he put his arms around me and gave me a hug. “You’re going to miss daddy, aren’t you?” He smiled at me. “I’m going to miss you too.”