Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Vince:

I rushed straight to Elaine’s condo after receiving that call from her. Since both of her parents started working abroad when she entered high school, she lives alone – one thing that made me worry more about her. Hurriedly, I reached for the door knob and went straight in. As I step inside the place, I felt a pair of arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

“I knew you would come Vince.” The voice said behind me.

I turned around to see who that is. In my surprise, I saw her. “Elaine?”

She released me and I faced her. “Are you alright? Are you hurt? What happened here?”

Instead of answering me, she smiled and gave me a hug. “You really are worried about me, aren’t you Vince?” Her soft hands made their way into my face, holding it gently while looking into my eyes. “Nothing happened.” And she smiled again.

“What do you mean nothing happened? I heard a noise earlier on the phone and I can’t be mistaken that I heard you screaming. And now you’ll tell me that nothing happened? That’s crazy.”

Looking away, she answered, “Well…” she walked towards the living room and I followed her. “I was just acting.” We reached the living room and she sat down her purple couch. With a smile she added, “That’s it. Nothing happened.”

There was a sudden mix of emotion after I heard those words from her. Should I feel relieved knowing that she’s fine? Or should I be angry with her? I mean, I am glad to know that she’s not hurt but, the fact that I went all the way here for nothing was something…irritating.

She must’ve noticed my unresponsiveness. “I know that what I did was very inconsiderate of me, I just wanted to spend time with you Vince.”

I remained standing in front of her until she pulled me down to sit beside her. “I’m sorry Vince.” She rested her head on my shoulder, “Please don’t be mad.”

Releasing a deep sigh, I answered, “No, I’m not mad…I can’t be mad at you Elaine.” Hesitantly, I added, “I mean, you’re my best friend.”

After hearing my answer, she lifted her head and looked into my eyes, “Just ‘best friends’?” The disappointment in her face was very obvious, “I thought you like me.”

My heart thumped against my chest, “Well…I do. But – “

“Then why don’t we be together? I don’t see anything wrong with that. I like you and you like me, we’ve known each other since we were kids, my parents know you very well and they like you. Don’t you think it’s the right time to start a relationship together?” She sounded assertive, no, she is assertive.

There are two things in my head: first, no matter how much I like her, the idea of love and relationship isn’t for me; second, I can’t reason the first to her. I have to think…right!

“Uhm, I’m sorry Elaine. But…but I’m getting engaged.” I felt both pain and relief when I said those words to her.

“Engaged huh?” She doesn’t seem to believe me, and I knew she won’t. “Who’s the lucky girl? Is she as beautiful, smart, and talented as me?”

Here she goes again with her I’m-far-better-than-all-of-you attitude. “Her name’s Liz. The one I introduced to you and Kevin during our double-date. She—“

“Oh right, the one who just transferred from England about two weeks ago. You haven’t known her for a month and now you’re getting engaged with her?! Stop playing games with me Vince!”

“I’m not playing games with you.” Sigh. “I’d better leave.”

I thought she’s going to stop me but she didn’t. Instead, she just sat down and remained silent until I step out of her place.

I know that I could regret all of this in the near future. Letting go of the one I truly like and getting engaged with someone I barely know just to escape from all the pains of the past.

As I take my car out of the parking lot, something popped up into my head. Liz! Oh my, I almost forgot I left her in the restaurant without telling her. Is she still there? I immediately grabbed my phone and tried to call her.

Sorry, the number you have dialed is either unattended or out of coverage area.

Please try your call later.

Thank you.

Call ended.

Not now. Ugh, I’ve been trying to call her for almost 15minutes but still no answer from her. So I decided to check out myself if she’s still in the restaurant or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment I entered the restaurant, where Liz and I ate lunch a while ago, the waiter who served us approached me.

“Good day Mr. Coax.”

I was too anxious about Liz that I didn’t even pay any attention on the waiter and instead, walked past him. I was about to rush inside the restaurant when the waiter spoke, “Mr. Coax, she already paid the bill.”

I turned around, with a perplexed expression, “What?”

“You came here to pay the bill of the food that you and you’re date ate a while ago, right? Don’t worry sir; she already paid it before she left.”

“You mean she already left?”

“Yes sir, about a few minutes ago.”

Oh no, I’m in trouble. “Well, thank you.”

I was about to go to Liz’s dorm when I received a text message from my Grandma that tells me to go home. So I decided to talk to her tomorrow at school.

I hope she's not mad. I really hope she's not.