Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Liz:

"Welcome home sweetie" Mom exclaimed as I walk in our mansion. "Oh, and where's Michael? Didn't he give you a ride home as he usually do?"

"He's not doing it anymore Mom -- ever." I walked straight passed her. I could notice that she was following me by her looks. As soon as I said that, she stood up and walked towards me.

"Why? Something went wrong between you two? Did you fight or something? You can always talk over it sweetie."

I rolled my eyes, expressing disgust on my face as I turn to Mom. She was holding both of my arms and stood before me.

"Mom, listen, don't talk as if he's my boyfriend because he's not, and he will never be."

"Aw, you turned him down? He's the seventh guy you turned down; don't you like any of them?"

"No."

"But why? Look, I don't want to look bad in front of my daughter but Liz; you should've given Michael a chance. I mean, I like him--"

"Then go and make him your boyfriend mom."

"--for you. I had a husband honey, your Father", putting an emphasis on 'your', "Michael told me he loved you so much and I can see it."

"Oh Mom, I can't believe you've been deceived by those lies."

"What if he's not lying? What if really is serious about you? What if he's the one for you? What if--"

"What if all that you say are wrong? Please Mom, I've fallen for those 'what ifs' before. I wouldn't anymore." I turned my back from her, heading towards the stairs, obviously going to my room.

"What if it's real now?" the sound on my mother's voice stopped me from walking and made me turn to her. I can see sadness in her eyes.

"Sorry Mom, but history repeats itself."

"You couldn't tell sweetie. You won't know unless you give it another try."

"Who says I even want to know?" Mom did not continue to argue with me anymore and went back to the kitchen where she's baking pastries for my school friends - as she think, but not really - again. She keeps on doing that. Being a good patisserie, no one could resist the aroma of her pastries. Aside of being good with pastry baking, Mom is mostly known as a famous fashion designer.

My so-called friends,  who doesn't really exist, were my friends only when my mother is around. Annoying. And I really do not understand why Mom never gets that I don't like those people. Well, my Mom was a kind person-really. So it is very easy for her to get deceived by lies, even though they were pretty obvious. Well, thanks that my father is not a liar.

Sigh. Alone in my room. I'm used to being alone - at school, in my room, and everywhere. I really don't hang out with anybody. It's not because I'm a loser or something, I just don't like to. Being a Van Hossen (my family) I was nearly perfect, as they would say. I stand 5'5" tall, with a slender figure (my mom usually watch my diet), a smooth fair-skin and nice hips. My hair was chocolate brown and straight down to my lower back with a side-swept bangs to the right. My eyes were deep brown giving a sense of stillness to my aura. I had this very innocent yet charming smile that most guys fall for. My lips were pinkish, even without lip gloss. Well, it's natural for an elite girl like me.

The Van Hossen Family was known in different fields - performing arts, law, medicine, literature, painting, and business, fencing and horse-riding. But there is one common denominator among them - they are all party-lovers. The social party I mean, the party where ladies were dressed in elegant gowns, men in their tux - more of a ball, I guess. They like socializing. Yes, they. I didn't like it, not before that thing happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier at school, during lunch break:

I am sitting at my favorite spot at the cafe - actually no one sits there besides me. Why? Because no one would ever want to sit at the corner and be a wallflower. While I'm eating, I try to manage to keep my focus on the book I'm reading on Greek Life and Myth in spite of the noise around me.

Then suddenly, I felt an arm on my shoulder. When I turned up and looked, it was Michael, the one courting me for quite some time now - without my consent.

"Hey sweetie. How are you?"

"Only my Mom calls me sweetie, and you're not my Mom." rolling my eyes back to my book, ignoring his presence.

"You alone?" He didn't even sense that I don't want him here.

"I am always, you idiot."

"Yeah, but soon you won't be." he smirked and gave that look-that teasing look in his eyes as he sat down beside me.

I just stared at him, with a what-do-you-mean look on my face.

He laughed a little and looked straight to my eyes, a sudden change in his mood - he turned to be serious at that time. "Because you'll have me." He held my hands without removing his stare on me. He held tight, tight enough that I can feel that he really longs for it. I just looked at his hands touching mine. "Liz, listen to me, and I want you to listen carefully. Look, I know this may sound stupid but - -" He paused for a while, while I just look at him with a raised eyebrow telling him that I'm becoming impatient. "--but please give me a chance. To be honest with you, I've never been like this before. I'm crazy about you Liz. You don't know how much I love you. Please, be honest with me, I know you feel the same way like I do."

As I look at his eyes, I can tell that he's sincere about what he said. The touch of his hands tells me, too. Wait, what's this? Why does my heart beating so fast? NO! This can't be love, these are lies! Wake up Liz. Don't fall for those nasty tricks again. Remember that all lies are wrapped up in the most beautiful words possible.

I took a deep breath, cleared my throat and looked straight to his eyes. "You want me to be honest with you?” I said and he nodded in response. “ I don't like you. You can go now." I pulled my hands off him and continued reading. He didn't talk nor moved, he was just staring. "Didn't you hear me? GO."

"You can't do this to me Liz." He said shaking his head.

"I'm sorry? I think I actually did. Now, go."

"Liz, please. Don't hurt me like this."

"Now you're blaming me? Sorry you asked for it. I'm just being honest. .. As you asked me to." I stood up, not even finishing my lunch and packed my things. I walked passed him and took a step back, beside him." And oh, please, I want this to be the last time you'll talk to me. Promise me that."

He nodded, staring blankly into space, not even taking a look at me.

"Thanks." then I continued walking.

While I walk through the cafe, I see that group of girls exchanging murmurs to each other. I knew it. One thing that made me an isolate - girls hate me because most of the guys they like likes me so I cannot hang out with them, and another thing, I don't like being with boys. I don't want them near me. I wasn't like this before, until Justin broke me into pieces.

I was about to exit the cafe when arms suddenly wrapped around my waist. Michael. He hugged me tighter and he started crying. "Please Liz. I...I really love you. I swear I won't hurt you like...like Justine did. I swear that! Just let me love you, Liz."

Wait, am I about to cry? No. Is he telling the truth? No, he's just acting because he was seen by the other students being turned down by me and he doesn't want that. He's doing it for himself and not you. Right, he's just…acting. But at the back of my mind, I was thinking maybe it was true but, no. This isn't.

I removed his arms around my waist, holding it. I kind of pity him, though. "Look, Michael, you don't have to make a fool out of yourself. Go find some other girl. It just won't work for me. I'm sorry." I released his hands and went out.

Am I bad? No, I'm just being careful. Yes, I was just saving myself.