Chapter 30

"Ella! Ella, wake up!" A voice so rudely awakened me from my sleep. I clenched my jaw and pretended not to hear.

"Come on, we have to meet Ben in ten minutes!" The owner of the voice shook my shoulders, soliciting a groan from me as I opened my eyes.

"I hate you sometimes Anita." I glared up at my best friend as I sat up. She just smiled and replied, "Love you too."

She then skipped over to the bathroom, where she would be for the next several minutes. I got up and walked over to the closet to pick out an outfit. Not the easiest thing when it's Christmas on a hidden tropical island. I settled on a pair of my typical ripped jeans, a red t shirt, and a pair of black combat boots.

After getting dressed, I walked over to my bed and pulled two boxes out from under my bed. One silver with a black ribbon, containing the snow globe for Ben, the other gold with a white ribbon for Anita, currently empty. I would hold back from filling the box with her present until the last second. Also under my bed were the various necessities to go with the gift.

I placed them on top of my bed, and brushed out my hair as Anita left the bathroom. After a bit of makeup, we were ready to go. I grabbed the boxes off my bed, and Anita grabbed two others from the chest at the foot of her bed for Ben and I.

"I can't wait to see your face when you open your present!" She squealed like a little girl. I rolled my eyes and led the two of us out the door.

The three of us had decided to meet on the bench near the blooming trees where Ben and I had sat the day the rest of the class had been out shopping. When we approached the bench, Ben was already there waiting.

"You're late" he said with a smile, standing to greet us. I rolled my eyes. We were maybe a minute late, if that. He hugged Anita and I in turn, lingering on mine. "Merry Christmas" he said, grinning, while I blushed furiously. He gestured to the bench and the three of us took a seat. Next to the bench, two poorly wrapped boxes say propped up.

"Me first!" Anita exclaimed, shoving presents at the two of us. I laughed at her excitement, and Ben joined in. "Ben first!" She commanded. Anita loved Christmas, but not for receiving presents; she loved to give them. She had explained earlier that it was her favorite holiday for that exact reason.

Ben smiled his amazing smile at Anita and removed the wrapping carefully, as to not rip the paper. "Just rip it!" Anita commanded, impatient. We laughed and Ben obliged her.

Removing the paper completely, Ben revealed a large wooden box with a glass lid. Inside sat an ornate bow, made of dark wood with gold designs etched into it. Also inside the box was a black leather quiver full of arrows with sleek black shafts. He looked up at her and said, "It's great! What made you think of it?"

Anita smiled at him. "I remember you saying that you had perfect accuracy. I figured you might want to be able to put that to use once we graduate and start, you know, saving the world". It was a great gift.

"Thanks a ton Nita." Ben called her by her nickname, getting up to hug her. She hugged him back briefly, then handed me a small box wrapped in red paper.

"This is one of two. I figured I'd give you the other one later. When you can fully appreciate it." She smiled deviously. I looked at her, a little nervous as two what could be coming, then tore the paper off the box. Inside was a small jewelry box, which opened to reveal a small silver ring. Engraved on the ring were the words, "Best Friends Forever". I slipped it onto my right index finger and smiled at her. Only then did I realize that she wore an identical ring in gold on the same finger of her right hand.

"Friendship rings. That way, we always have some part of each other there, so we're never truly alone." She smiled. I grinned back at her and gave her a crushing hug. A second later, I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Ella... I can't breathe..." I laughed and released her.