Chapter 16

This Chapter is dedicated to Mchami ! Thanks for your encouragement.
---------------------------------------------

After Mrs. Wren left, I waited until dinner to make my reappearance. I knew Anita would have questions, and May would fire shots, but the chaos of dinner could allow me to slip in unnoticed.

As I slipped in, I noticed that the cafeteria was louder than usual. I listened in on a random student's conversation to try to understand what was going on.

"He was really cute! I wonder why he didn't enroll with the rest of us. I hope he asks me to the dance." Nope, nothing important. Just another boy crazy girl!

I grabbed a salad from the lunch lady, handing out food with all ten of her arms, and headed to the table Anita and I shared at the back of the room. I tried eavesdropping again, but with little avail. Was everyone here obsessed with guys?

"I hope he's in my gym class," said another girl,"I bet he's got super speed".

I sat down across from Anita, hoping she would forget for a second that I had disappeared and talk about chemistry. Maybe I could catch a break today... Nah, probably not.

"Where were you! One second you're putting your idea in the box and then poof! you're gone. I thought that your psycho killer/kidnapper had gotten you! And then you pop up again and don't tell me everything immediately! Start talking!" She practically yelled at me, actually shaking her finger at me. People actually did that?

"Okay mom, I'm fine, you don't have to ground me. I got called to the office, that's all." I replied, rolling my eyes. She could be so dramatic sometimes. Then again, I kind of deserved it.

"For four hours? What happened?" She repeated. Clearly I wasn't getting out of this one. I was about to explain everything when I remembered what Mrs. Wren had said about the Puppeteer.

"In the dorm room. I don't want to talk about it right now." It was actually true. The more I thought about it, the more sure I was that Ben actually did know me and that I had made a huge mistake. Anita sent me a questioning look, but accepted it.

"Whatever. You are telling me whether you like it or not. Anyway, while you were gone, we were introduced to a new student in the art room. His name's Ben." I choked on my salad. He enrolled? After the things I had said? My doubts evaporated. I knew that boy, clearly. Who else would put up with me after everything I had said.

Anita had taken to pounding me on the back, hoping to dislodge the carrot in my windpipe. Thankfully it worked. After I could breath again, I asked,"What classes of ours is he in?"

"He's got the same schedule. Why the interest? And don't say you're curious, I know that you choked like that for a reason." Rats! There went my alibi.

"I'll tell you later." I said, giving her a meaningful look. Again she nodded, and we finished our meal in silence.

After we finally made it back to our dorm, Anita pushed me onto my bed stood looking at me and said, "Ella! You've got some splainin' to do!"

I couldn't help but laugh at my friend. After a while she joined in too. I even fell off the bed because I couldn't breathe. After we were done cracking up, she gasped,"But seriously, Ells, start talking. Its killing me!"

I explained what had happened starting with the call to the office and finishing with her telling me about Ben's enrollment.

She stared at me for a few minutes. Then she shook her head. "A cute boy shows up, saying he knows who you are and where you came from, and you threaten to LIGHT HIM UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE!?"

"More or less. Is that a problem?" I asked calmly.

"Maybe if he wasn't CUTE! Oh my god you're an idiot! Not really I love you, but seriously!And he didn't leave! You're perfect together! I ship it. I don't care what you say, I am playing match maker. No arguments!" She said. I sat there laughing at her quietly. "This isn't funny! I'm serious!"

I shook my head. "I don't even know the guy. Besides, he could try to kill me. He might not even know me and he could be the psycho that killed Cammie. Besides, I don't do love." I said. Even as I said it though, I knew all but the last one was false. Thoughts popped into my head one after another. Love is weakness. It can be used against you. If he knows you love someone he'll take them. Love is bad.

"Ella, listen to me. In the words of Jack Sparrow: STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY SHIP! and besides, you can't just take a pass on love. It will find you, and I'm determined for it to be Ben when it does." I smiled at her and raised my hands in defeat.

My best friend was such a doof!