Chapter 26

Hey guys! Summer break! Finally! Im using a lot of exclamation points! yay!

Wait, not done.

I GOT A NEW PHONE! AND A NEW COVER! IM SO EXCITED!!!

On a more serious topic, I am going to try- note, try- to finish Elements over the summer. If I fail to do so... please don't hate me.

Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to all my friends going to a different high school than me. I'm going to miss each and every one of you, and I wish you the best of luck in the next four years.

😁

---------------------------------------------

The sound of voices grew louder and louder as we neared the gym. Anita and I walked side by side, nearing the masses of students crowding around the gym doors, getting food, ice skates, and entering the dance itself. About one hundred feet from the doors, Anita stopped me and shoved me into a janitor's closet.

"What the heck are you doing?" I cried as she closed the door behind the two of us. She had a steely look in her odd, purple eyes, and I knew that whatever it was was serious.

"I forgot something very important. Promise you will not leave this closet until I come back." I stared at her blankly. When I failed to respond, she demanded, "Promise!" again. This time I nodded, shocked in her sudden change of mood- in personality.

She left the closet, closing the door behind her. I stood waiting in the dark. Bored, I created a small flame, like that of a candle, on my finger. I slowly maneuvered it down into the palm of my hand, then let it expand into a fire ball. The darkness was dispelled, and I stared into the flames, enchanted by the flickering colors.

The doorknob turned and I quickly clenched my fist, extinguishing the flame. I held my breath, waiting for someone to come in questioning why I was in the closet and why I had been holding fire. Instead, I sighed in relief as Anita reentered the closet.

"Turn around and close your eyes." she commanded, and I did as I was told. I felt something cold drop around my neck. "Okay, you're good now." I opened my eyes and looked down to find the elephant necklace Ben had given me. I looked at her with a question all over my face: why?

She shrugged and said, "I said you'd look good for him. Before, you looked good, but it could've been for anyone. Now, you look better, and he'll know its for him." I looked at her and held back a laugh. That was the very important item she had forgotten?

She opened the door and exited with me on her tail. she closed the door behind me, then walked towards the gym, back to her normal, bubbly self.

I shook my head and chuckled, following behind her.

The booths set up by the doors were perfect. A teacher was running a booth giving ice skates to students as they entered. Next to the table, cubbies had been set up for shoes. On the opposite side of the doors were booths covered with food. The center of the show was the towering ice cream cake- twelve layers of cookie dough ice cream, cake, and pale blue whipped cream. It looked amazing.

I took a deep breath and entered the gym, already bustling with students. Everyone looked amazing. The ice rink was packed, covered in both noobs and pros. The sledding hill was also rather popular, with inter tubes whizzing down the slope. Finally, a full fledged snow war was taking place in the snow forts. The whole gym glittered with snow, ice, and lights. It looked like... well, a winter wonderland.

I walked towards the ice rink when suddenly, a snowball pegged me in the gut. I looked around for the culprit, and sure enough, May stood against the wall, Addy by her side.