Chapter 17

That night after Anita fell asleep, I lay awake for a long time. I couldn't get Ben out of my head. How did I feel about him before I lost my memories? How did he find me? I shook my head, dismissing the thoughts. I would never be stupid enough to fall in love.

One thing that had remained in my head when I lost my memories was how I felt about love; that or it had come back when I met Ben- not that K could love him. Love was fine for normal people. But for people like me, who will one day have deadly enemies, who will hunt and be hunted for the rest of their lives, love could never happen. If the Puppeteer took Anita, and now Ben, I knew I wouldn't hesitate to trade myself for them, even if it meant certain doom for me.

There was no way I was sleeping any time soon, so I headed into the bathroom. I was dying to talk to Cammie again, but I didn't want to wake up Anita.

As soon as the door was closed, I turned on the lights and whispered to the air, "Cammie? You there?" I looked around, hoping she would hear me and come.

"Finally!" I jumped out of my skin as a familiar voice practically yelled behind me. I whirled around and found Cammie standing behind me, looking annoyed."I've been waiting to talk to you, but I couldn't risk you talking to thin air- people would think you're crazy!"

"Yes, and they'll think I'm crazy for yelling in the middle of the night if you don't shut up!" I scolded her in a harsh whisper. This earned a laugh and an eye roll.

"Please Ells. No one can hear me but you. If I screamed, you'd be the only one to cover your ears." To prove her point, she let out an ear splitting scream, making me flinch. I opened the door a crack, shocked to find Anita still snoring away.

"Point proven. Look, I was wondering if you knew who this Ben kid is." I said. Maybe she knew something, and if she didn't, she could always check him out. Ah, the advantages of a ghost sister.

"I followed him the second he came in the art room. He defiantly knows you- maybe even was friends with you. He has a letter from you in his bag. He left it out on the bed in his dorm."
I perked up at this, and started planning how to steal that letter. I doubted he would just give it to me. Cammie interrupted my planning, "Don't try anything stupid. All it says is 'Meet at the Haven. I'll see you soon.' That's it. Oh, and your name at the bottom. And his at the top." I deflated like a popped balloon. Well, there goes that!

"My suggestion is that you ask him about what happened to you. He knows who you are and what you can do. Maybe he'll tell you. He doesn't seem to want to hide it like Ms. Wren did." Cammie continued. She seemed oblivious when I blushed, remembering my conversation with Anita earlier.

"Okay. I'll have to see him eventually. Might as well try to figure some things out through him." I shook my head. I knew I would have to talk to him again. Before anything else though, I would have to apologize to him. He deserved an apology, and I was determined to give him one.

🌜🌑🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒🌑🌛

Early update!

Speaking of updates, I'm trying to update weekly to avoid going three months without writing again. I may struggle with it though. I'll write when I get the chance.

Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to HannaOnACloud . You go Glen Coco!