Chapter 34

The moment his lips met mine, it all came flooding back. Well, all the things that included him.

I was standing in the tree house I had climbed into to take cover from the storm, when a figure crawled up through the hatch in the floor, soaked to the bone. The family who owned the property was very rich and hadn't lived in this house for a long time, so I knew it wasn't someone who belonged here- not someone who could kick me out. I eyes him warily, and when I remembered that The Puppeteer could be controlling him, commanded Shadow to attack.

Instantly, my kitten grew into a lethal black panther thanks to the power I had infused into it. It lunged forward, pinning the soggy boy to the floor. Shadow stood there, tense, waiting for the order to kill or release his prey.

"Why are you here?" I questioned.

"Please, just let me camp out here for the night. My parents are looking for me and they can not find me"

I nodded to Shadow, who released his catch. "If you seem even slightly suspicious, I will have him kill you." I warned the boy. "My name is... Emma"

"Ben" the boy replied. "Sorry to trespass, but they can't find me. It's... Important. Not just, ugh my parents don't get me, important. Like, my parents want to cut me open and look at my insides, important" he shuddered. My heart went out to him. Everyone deserved loving parents, but not everyone had them. The thought brought me back to my parents.

Were they alright? Had he killed them as he had Cammie? I wasn't stupid- I knew that when her scream had cut off suddenly, it hadn't been her choice. I bit my lip and tried to keep myself from tearing up. "Why would they do that?" I interrogated Ben.

"Because I'm... Special. And judging by that cat, so are you."

I sighed, and glanced at Shadow, now a regular sized kitten again. "Yeah, you could say that. Let's just say you're not the only one trespassing in this treehouse."

"Who are you running from?" He asked sympathetically.

"A killer. A controlling, psychotic, powerful killer. He treats people like his puppets. Literally."

"Sounds rough. Anyone else with you?" He asked, glancing warily outside the window.

"No, just me. Anyone who I would've taken with me fell victim to my pursuer." I replied, looking at the ground, once again fighting off tears.

"I see." Silence passed for a while, awkwardly. "Well, I should get some rest, if I'm going to be taking off tomorrow again. "

"Yeah I guess you should" I replied. "I think I'm just going to stay up for a while. Make sure you don't try anything funny."

Ben laughed. "Alright. Whatever works for you. "

He was asleep within minutes, and I took the time to inspect him closely. He was handsome, but not in the way that girls would trip over themselves when they saw him. He had shaggy brown hair that fell into his eyes, nice cheekbones and a defined jawline. He was taller than I was, but not by much. Overall, he looked like a - very cute -regular guy. No sign of being "special" like me.

But perhaps I knew better than anyone. Normal people could be the most dangerous of all.

🌜🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌛

"Where do you get this food from?!" Ben asked exasperatedly. We had been camped out in the tree house together for a month, and we still didn't know each other's powers.