Chapter 41

"Alright, is everyone ready to hear who our three competitors are?" The head of our dorm stood on a table in the middle of the cafeteria, while all the female students gathered around to hear who would be competing in the dorm games. Outside in the field, the boys were doing the same thing. The crowd of girls could be sorted into three groups: those who were way too interested, those who couldn't be less interested, and those who cared, but weren't ecstatic.

"Okay, our first competitor is..." She paused for dramatic effect,"Abigail Vallicose! Let's hear it for Abby, girls!" Scattered applause went around the room. Abby was a super speeder: she was fast, but she could be easily countered by the guys.

"Our second competitor is Elizabeth Hall!" The dorm leader had abandoned the theatrics, realizing she want going to get the reaction she hoped for. A few people clapped politely, but most remained silent. Lizzy seemed to have left a disconcerting impression on the majority of our class.

"Lastly, please give a round of applause for Ella... For Ella!" She seemed to not know that my last name was a bit of a mystery. She recovered quickly, clapping her hands together, but the crowd was all but silent. As per usual, I didn't have many fans among my peers.

"Oh my gosh, Ella! You're going to do great!" Anita gushed. I smiled. Maybe I didn't have the support of all of my peers, but I didn't need it. As long as I had a few good friends, it was fine by me if I wasn't popular.

"Thanks Anita. I don't know how I got picked though. Most of the student population all but hates me, and it's a vote. Common sense says I shouldn't have gotten picked in a million years." I puzzled. "Come to think of it, Lizzy doesn't have many fans either. I wonder how we got picked."

Anita gave a slight smile. "Well, I guess the universe is full of surprises today."

"Yeah, I guess so." I smiled back at her.

Well, Ella, it appears we have been given te opportunity to fight alongside each other once again. I look forward to the impending challenge.

"I wonder who the boys chose." my best friend contemplated.

No acquaintances of ours, I believe. Two boys named Timothy and Riley, and your antagonizer May's boyfriend. Ethan, I believe.

"Ugh, he's such a jerk. He and May deserve each other." Anita spat, as if mentioning the two was too vile to constitute veiling her words with false tolerance. "How do you know who they picked? You've been in here this whole time."

A metallic spider crawled across the floor. Lizzy bent down and it crawled in to her waiting palm. She straightened, and the machine crawled up her arm and rested on her shoulder. Do you still require an explanation? Lizzy's typically placid expression morphed into a ghost of a smile.

Anita grinned. "Nope. You're brilliant Lizzy."

Thank you. However, I worry that it was perhaps slightly underhanded.

I spoke up. "I don't think it was underhanded. We didn't break any rules; we were all in the gym, they were all on the field. Who can blame you if a spider happened to be keeping an eye on the boys?" Lizzy smiled fully now, accepting my reassurance.

"Poor Abby. I bet she didn't think she'd have to team up with the freak squad when she got picked." May and Addison emerged from the crowd of students. "How on earth did you two get voted for?"

"If you're looking for a fight or for an answer, you've come to the wrong place. Frankly, we couldn't be bothered with you right now, so you'll have to excuse us." I answered coolly. Clashing with May was a waste of time that could be spent strategizing. I brushed past her with Anita and Elizabeth right on my tail.