Chapter 15

Ben's POV:

I stared at the door that Ella had just left through and shook my head in disbelief. I had finally found her again and now she was insisting we had never met? Either this was her idea of a joke or... I couldn't bring myself to think the words. She wouldn't. Would she?

I turned to the woman standing behind me who I had been speaking with before Ella came in. "So that's what you meant by 'she's different'." My voice was hoarse as I spoke to her.

She looked away. "I don't know how it happened. She doesn't remember me either. I came here hunting down the Puppeteer, and instead I find her with no idea who she was or what had happened to her." She finished at a whisper, and there were tears in her eyes. "I just wish I knew how she lost her memories. Then I could work towards getting them back for her."

My stomach dropped as I heard the words I had been dreading hearing since I had gotten here. I should have known she would do it! She was always to noble for her own good; she would protect others even if it meant sacrificing herself.

"Well, I hate to say it, but I know how she lost her memories. Someone wiped them, though I'm sure you know that. But you won't know this: she wiped them herself."

Ella's POV:

I sat on the steps, sobbing, until the sun went down. I had missed all of my classes after lunch, but that was the last thing on my mind.

What if I was wrong, and he wasn't here to hurt me? What if he actually knew me, and I had burned my only bridge to my past? I let out a frustrated sigh and buried my head in my hands for the millionth time.

Just as I finally gained control of my tears, I heard footsteps behind me. I turned to find Ms. Wren's worried eyes staring back at me.

At first I was happy to see her there. Surely she had spoken to them and would be able to tell me if I was right about him. An besides it was nice to have someone looking out for me other that Anita.

Then my anger kicked in. What right did she have to worry about me? I had no doubt the woman had played a role in my past, but she seemed dead set on keeping me in the dark! I thought back to Cammie's words about the enemy being closer than I thought; for all I knew, Ms. Wren was trying to kidnap me!

"Are you alright?" Her voice pulled me from my thoughts.

"What do you care?" I snapped at her, "You're just an educator to me. Right? Unless there's something you finally want to tell me." I knew my words were harsh, but I didn't care. She should know that I had been searching for links to my past. Why wouldn't she come forward as one?

"I think we both know that's not entirely true. I think it's time I tell you how I know you." She said as she sat down next to me on the front steps of the school.

"Finally." I muttered under my breath. This warned me a glare and shut me up pretty quickly. "Continue," I said, pretending to zip my lips. If she was going to tell me some of what was happening, I wouldn't stop her.

"First you should know that the reason I'm so reluctant to tell you this. I have seen firsthand what happens when someone's memory is wiped and they are told who to be. They feel pressure to be who they aren't and horrible things end up happening." Her eyes misted over and she stared out at the ocean, suddenly seeming to age a few years before me.

"I was your tutor and your mother's best friend. Your parents knew you and your sister had extreme power: power that could tear the world apart I not used properly. My job was to teach you to control your powers. I had a lesson scheduled for the day... well, you know. I was running late, and by the time I got there, your parents were just being taken. I saw who it was who took them and I couldn't stop them. I mean what could I do? Scream at him?" She shook her head at her lap as if scolding herself.

"He's called the Puppeteer. He can control people and animals as if they were his puppets. He's completely obsessed with control. I came here after you and your parents disappeared, and your sister... I believe I've found him, but I'm not quite sure." Her brow furrowed as she spoke, as if contemplating something.

"Who? Please, I have to find my parents." I said standing. She stood too, shaking her head at me.

"I know nothing for certain. Until I do, I won't share anything. If I'm wrong, I don't want to burn a bridge. But I will tell you this: be careful not to show to much improvement. If my theory is correct, as soon as you show enough skill with your abilities, he will make his move. Watch your back." She turned as she spoke and walked back inside, leaving me wondering who it was intent on kidnapping me.