Chapter 14

CHAPTER 14

Jayna and Pavlina were sitting at the kitchen table studying for their calculus exam that was the next day. Pavlina was released from the hospital and doing well. Having her exams to think about was a blessing. It had given her the drive to get better in a hurry. She had surprised everyone at the hospital with her speedy recovery. She didn't want to miss her exams now that her mind was focused on positive things in her life. She was very much looking forward to the future and the wonderful things it held for her.

Jayna had always been an A student, but she had to work to get the marks. Pavlina on the other hand was blessed with a photographic memory. She had to see or hear something only once and she would always remember it. Her ability of perfect recall made studying redundant for her, but she did it anyway. She told herself it was the right thing to do, plus she enjoyed studying with Jayna. It was good to be back and doing normal, everyday things. She had made up her mind that she would not allow pessimism to get the better of her ever again.

Jayna was stuck on a problem while they were doing their reviews.

"I can't believe Mr. B did this to us," Jayna said. "He barely spent any time on this thing in class; look at all the questions he put on the review sheet? If this means they will be on the final exam, I am screwed."

Jayna was upset.

Pavlina to the rescue!

"Don't panic, Jay. I can explain this to you. You will do just fine."

Pavlina quickly and clearly summarized the section for Jayna; it made perfect sense and was crystal clear.

"Oh my God, Pav, I can't believe you made this so easy for me. Your true genius isn't your photographic memory, it's your ability to take something complicated and present it in the simplest possible way and easy to understand. You really are a genius," Jayna said.

"Thank you." Pavlina took a bow.

Jayna was on a roll. "You know something? I think you should be a teacher, Pav. It would be such a waste not to make use of your God given talents."

Pavlina contemplated for a moment, but remained silent. Jayna could see the wheels. The expression on Pavlina's face was changing - she was having a Eureka moment. Then a little smile formed on her lips.

"Maybe that's what I'll be: A teacher," Pavlina said.

"Come to think of it, I do enjoy teaching. Becoming a doctor was my parents' idea - they thought it was the best choice for me. I know that I cannot spend the next decade in school when I will be raising a child on my own. I think you hit on a very good idea Jayna, but for an entirely different reason than the one I am thinking right now. Since I will be a single parent, I want to be able to spend as much time with my daughter as possible. Being home during all school breaks and the summer holidays makes perfect sense to me."

The little smile morphed into a full-blown one. Pavlina's eyes sparkled when she spoke of her unborn daughter.

"Well, I am glad that I was able to help you come up with that. Everything happens for a reason, that's what I learned in the last few days. I guess there was a reason why I didn't quite get this topic in class, because we needed you to explain it to me to open our eyes to what a wonderful teacher you are. Let's face it Pav, we both know that academically you can get into whatever program you choose. You have top marks in everything you've ever taken."

Pavlina shrugged.

"Yeah, I got full marks in every subject except sex education; when it came to the practical I flunked big time."