Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

“Hope can run that show,” Jayna said. “We leave them in her capable hands.”

“Where are we going?” Ethan asked.

“We’ll drive around. I need a break from all this talk about strategy and how we’ll fight demons on Earth.”

Ethan held out his hand for the car key. “Okay, you sit and relax. Let me do the driving.”

Jayna smiled. “Sure, that’ll be great.”

This was a momentous occasion, their first car ride. They had been together for seven years - three as a married couple - but not on Earth. Their interactions had been limited to the Astral plane.

This is so sweet…

Jayna jumped. “Grandma, I didn’t know you are with us.”

I didn’t want to distract their lesson, Evelyn said as an explanation for her presence. I told them to pay attention and not to look for me. I don’t think they are ready for that yet. So, I thought I’d hang out with you two.

“Okay.”

You’re not just saying that, are you? Because, if you are, I can leave.

“Grandma, what are you talking about?”

Just saying…

Have you considered getting a place of your own?

There was silence in the car; verbally and mentally. Nobody said or thought anything.

Well, you do need one. You’re not gonna live with your parents. You know how awkward it was this morning, the two of you sneaking around like teenagers, running from your bedroom to the bathroom, not wanting to be seen by anyone. You are not used to living together on Earth, and especially not in a regular house. You have a palatial home in the Astral plane. You would be totally crowded in your parents’ house. You need your own space; trust me.

“Your grandmother is right, Jayna. If you are looking for a distraction, we could check out some houses.” Ethan said as he pulled out of the driveway.

“Are you serious about living here?” Jayna wasn’t so sure Ethan meant it.

“Yes, I am. We’ll need a big house with lots of bedrooms and space to entertain.”

“Why?”

“I have a large family and I am sure they will visit us often.”

“Oh, of course; sorry babe, my mind isn’t there. I have cobwebs in my brain.”

Shake it off, Jayna, Evelyn commanded. Everything will be fine.

“You don’t really mind living here?” Jayna asked again.

“No. Like mom said, I can commute to work from anywhere in the world. My main concern right now is to have you comfortable and safe.”

“It’s going to be weird not shifting for the next nine months.” Jayna burst into tears. “I feel like my wings have been clipped.”

The site of tears put Ethan into total panic mode. “Babe, it’s only temporary. Please, stop crying.”

It’s for the baby’s safety, Evelyn said, which reminds me; you should make an appointment and go see your doctor.

“Yes, you should do that.” Ethan concurred.

“I will; but what I really want to do is go to the hotel and beat Cassandra Jewel to a pulp.”