Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

When the ambulance arrived at the hospital Jayna was waiting for them. She ran over to meet Ethel and John, and sat with them in the waiting area while the doctors worked on Pavlina.

"How did you know that something was wrong with Pavlina," asked Ed.

"I thought I would check my email before I went to bed and found one from Pavlina. It sounded frightening to me. She was not in a good frame of mind, I called her cell; it was turned off. I would gladly have taken whatever reprimand you would throw my way if I had woken you up for nothing. I just had to be sure that she was fine, so I called the house number and talked to you," Jayna explained.

"One of the paramedics found an empty bottle of Tylenol by her bed. It looks like she took the entire bottle. Honey, she tried to kill herself and almost succeeded. They are pumping her stomach now, but she isn't out of the woods," Ethel whispered.

Pavlina's mother had a hard time keeping it together. She was oscillating between crying and sobbing.

"Why would she want to kill herself?" John asked.

"Mr. and Mrs. Pek, Pavlina had a very rough day. I was with her when she found out that she is pregnant."

Ethel and John gasped at Jayna's announcement.

"I am sorry that there is no easy way to break the news to you. I asked her to think about her options when I dropped her off this afternoon. She is devastated. She is embarrassed and disappointed in herself for being irresponsible. Darren broke up with her, too. They had a whirlwind romance, and now it's over, plus she is pregnant. All of this was too much to handle."

Ethel and John were speechless. Their whole world had come crushing down on them. John got up from his seat and was pacing in the waiting room, absorbed in his own private thoughts. Ethel resumed her crying and held a tissue to her eyes.

Jayna sat quietly and tried to keep calm. She couldn't fall apart too. She wished she could find out how Pavlina was doing.

"Mrs. Pek, I am just going to close my eyes for a few minutes while we are waiting" she said. Ethel nodded and closed her own eyes and leaned back, resting her head against the wall; John continued his pacing.

As soon as Jayna closed her eyes she shifted into the Astral plane. Ethan was right there, sitting beside her.

"Ethan, you are here."

"I told you I would be with you. You did well telling her parents the truth."

"Do you have any idea how Pavlina is doing?"

"Her heart stopped; they had to shock her. She is back in her body fighting for her life."

"Can we peak in?"

"They are pumping her stomach; it's not pretty in there."

"Do you think she'll make it?"

"I'm positive. She wanted to know the gender of the baby. It's a girl. I asked the Masters if they would allow her to see her baby, and they did."

"She saw her baby?" Jayna was incredulous.

Ethan nodded. "Yes, she did, and that is the reason that she will choose life."

"I am scared for her. What if she doesn't make it?"

"You need to have more faith," Ethan said. "Remember how your emotions will amplify and affect the people around you?"

"Right, it's just that so much has happened in the last two days since I met you."

Ethan gave her a hug. "You are a lot stronger than you think."