Chapter 1

This is dedicated to my friend Renée because she is so supportive with my writing :)

__________________________________________________________________

Haymitch:

When I won my games... When I did the trick with the force field... My life was turned upside down. Snow took everything from me. My brother 2 years after my game, my mother 4 years after and a year after my mother... My girl.

When I came back to the district I resumed my old life. My girl and I got married 5 years later and two years after that she was pregnant with a baby girl. About 2 months after Bridget was born her mother took her out for a walk while I stayed home.

Just after I was crowned victor President Snow had threatened the life of those around me. I had made a fool of him when I used the force field as a weapon. When he threatened me I didn't think much about it because I was too relieved that I would be home in no more than two days. Little did I know that my future wife and daughter's lives were in danger.

They said it was a mugging gone wrong. I knew it was a lie. They told me my daughter was kidnapped. My wife was stabbed. But I knew better. I knew much better.

_____________________________________________________________________

Bridget:

What was I doing? What was I thinking coming here? What was I going to do? Just walk straight to his door and say 'Hey Haymitch I know this may sound really weird but I'm your daughter!' Yeah, right.

I was a seam girl although I didn't have the seam eyes. They were a dark brown. Most seam people have grey eyes and olive skin and dark hair but I had brown eyes and fair skin with lightish brown hair. I guess I've always known I wasn't normal.

The person who I was told and believed all my life was my mother explained to me, in a letter she wrote for me for when she died, that peacekeepers came to her door one night holding a child in their arms. They had told her that the victor Haymitch Abernathy had lost his wife and was giving up the child. She told the peacekeepers that she had never spoken to him before and had no association with him but they told her that he wanted less of a chance running into her so he didn't have the painful memories of his wife coming back.

So here I am. Standing in front of my father's house preparing myself. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. I could do this. After all, the name Bridget did mean strong.

"What do want kid?" Haymitch said as soon as the door was open.

"I... I..." I was speechless as he stared at me with an impatient look.

"I'm Bridget Annabelle Moran." I closed my eyes. "I'm your daughter."

"I don't have a daughter." Haymitch replied but there was an uncertainty in his eyes.

"You did though and you have her up at two months old."

"Look, Bridget. I never gave my child up. She was taken from me and they murdered my wife too."

"Oh" Was all I managed to get out. So I handed him the letter my 'mother' wrote. "My mother wrote this before she died. She told me when she gave it to me that she was told never to mention it. I have no other family now."

"Would you like to come in so I can process this or do you want to inform the adult your staying with first so they don't worry?"

"I'm on my own. I've been staying at my house alone for the past week." Haymitch sighed as though he understood about being alone before he stepped out of the door way gesturing for me to enter. So I did.