Chapter 9

Bridget:

Today the interviews will commence. I'm sure that all of Panem will want to know how I feel about Summer making it to the final eight. Keeping that in mind I don't dress like a slob today seeing as I still need to keep up my appearance publicly. I put on some old blue jeans and a blue and white stripe short sleeve top before heading down to the Victors Lounge.

"What's up buttercup?" I ask Haymitch.

"Nothing much." He replies gruffly.

"Cool." I say not knowing how to reply.

I sit next to Haymitch and Finn again. I watch the one small screen which has the interviews on them. I guess the Game Makers thought that it wasn't necessary for the mentors to see the interviews. Oh well. I watch as the District One male's older brother, mother, father, and twin sister are interviewed. I quickly lose any interest as I try to keep busy waiting for Caesar to inevitably show up. He does at about 1 in the afternoon.

"Hello Miss Bridget!" Caesar greets me pleasantly.

"Hello Caesar! How are you?"

"I'm fine and how are you?"

"I'm good. I'm finding every chance I can to try and get Haymitch to send something to Summer."

"Why doesn't he send anything?"

"I don't really listen but I think it was something like saving it." I jokingly put my hand up so Haymitch can't read my lips.

"Oh well okay. How are you feeling with your best friend's older sister having to compete in the Games?" He makes it sound as though they are running track. Compete!

"It's heartbreaking. Summer was like an older sister to me but obviously I am not nearly as unfortunate as Summer's sister Willow. I can't imagine what she's going through. All three of us used to do almost everything together. We were the Three Muskateers."

"Muskateers?"

"You've never read the Three Muskateers?!"

"No."

"You have to it's so good!"

"Okay. I will have to. Has Summer read it?"

"Yeah. She's a big reader. She made me the avid reader I am today."

"That's so sweet. What would you do if Summer wins?"

"Well... It'd be better because she'd live right next door instead of on the other side of Twelve so we'd hang out a lot more."

"How do feel about Summer being in the Games?"

"At this point in time I'm happy that Summer made it to the final eight but over all I'm kinda numb. Sorta like my emotions are in denial about it all so I don't feel anything."

"At least you aren't feeling depressed, right?"

"I guess so. The only thing is that I miss her so much and Willow too. I've never gone a day without seeing either of them and its difficult because those two are my 'sisters from another mister'. I just can't imagine what Willow and Mrs. Cob must be going through."

"I'm sure they are proud of their daughter and sister."

"I'm sure they are also distraught that she has to participate in a Game that..." I stop because Haymitch puts his hand on my arm so I notice my temper rising. "I'm sorry. Lost my cool. Yes I am sure they are proud of her."

"Yes. Before we go, I have one last question. Do you think she would be able to win?"

"If she doesn't give up hope I think she might but anyone can tell its going to be hard against 3 careers. I mean, I can see that and the only experience I have is watching the Games."