Chapter 13

Bridget:

It has been 5 months since I've seen Preston. I still have another month to go and its killing me. We talk on the phone at least once a week but I still need to see his bright shining smile and hypnotizing eyes.

There was a lot of hoopla at school when I first got back. One teacher stopped me to ask if the Capitol magazines were true about Finnick and me. That same teacher asked if it was me kissing Chaff's son. I had a few day dreaming girls ask what Finn was like. It was about 2 weeks before everything at school went back to normal.

I didn't like the first month because it consisted of mourning Summer and helping Willow cope which meant tears being shed. It also consisted of annoying nosy people and having to face Summer's friends at school. Let's just say that it consisted of a LOT of crying and feeling ever guilty.

I sigh as I stare at my reflection in the mirror. My light hair is in a very high ponytail and I've even put on a teeny tiny bit of makeup. I'm wearing the average school uniform. I have my books in my satchel that I got in the Capitol so I sling that on my shoulder as I run downstairs past Haymitch's room.

I quickly go past the bakery on my way to school so I wave at Peeta and Mr Mellark. It takes about 7 to 10 minutes to get to school from the Victors Village but if I'm quick I can make it in 5 and meet Willow out front of the school.

"Hey Bridget." Willow beams at me. I'm glad that she doesn't blame Haymitch or myself for Summer's death.

"Hey Willow." I smile back as we head to History of Panem.

"Have you talked to Preston lately?" Willow winks at me. I told her every single detail about Preston and I in the Capitol.

"No. I'm calling him tonight." I chuckle at my best friend.

"Are we going to the meadow after school?" She asks me and I know she doesn't mean the meadow.

"Yeah. Okay." I nod.

The whole morning drags on and doesn't even get exciting through the other lessons throughout the day. The school have decided to put me in my grade for math so I had to do extra work to catch up when I got back. I hate math with a passion.

After school Willow and I part in the opposite directions so that we can change and meet in the meadow. I walk in the direction of town to the Victors Village and she walks to the Seam.

I walk quickly with my head down as I go back home. I think through the things I need to take with like I do every Friday after school.

I'll need my old shoulder bag for game and plants, I'll need my beaten up old leather boots that would have been called 'riding boots' before Panem, and comfortable clothes. My weapon of choice is a knife although I'm not too bad with a bow but Willow is better.

She learnt how to use her bow from her neighbor Gale when he noticed that her family were really struggling during Summer's games. Willow's grandfather used to carve things from wood and he made a bow so Gale showed her how to use it and hasn't really spoken to her since. Willow tried to teach me but I'm not near as good.

Before I know it I'm back at home. I run upstairs and look through my closet. Most of my things are normal things that Peyton and I found in the Capitol at summer time but I have a few things from when I lived in the Seam.

I rummage through and pull out an old pair of jeans and an old long sleeve t-shirt. I change out of my uniform and throw on my woods clothes, several pairs of socks, and my boots. I pull on a cardigan before I sling a sweatshirt over it. January gets pretty cold in 12 so I throw on an oversized jeans jacket too. I also grab a pair of leather gloves that are lined with faux fur on the inside so I don't freeze my hands.

I'm changed so I grab my bag that already has the knives, a thermos for Willow and myself that is filled with boiling hot herbal tea, and two sandwiches. I sling the bag on my shoulders and rush out the door to meet Willow in the meadow.

When I get to the meadow, that is on the other side of 12, Willow is already standing by the fence waiting on me. She looks around and quickly squeezes through the hole at the bottom of the fence and I immediately follow suit.

When we are in the clear and far enough into the woods, Willow turns her head to the side and locks her Seam grey eyes on me.

"So where do you wanna go?" She asks.

"Should we try the lake?" I ask. Willow and I had come across a lake by accident on one of our trips out here about 3 months ago.

"Sounds great." She smiles and her grey eyes light up as she quickens her pace.

Willow and I have this unspoken agreement that as we walk to our destination we hunt. She normally shoots small animals like squirrels and I'll look for some edible plants that I know of or medical plants that we can take to the apothecary in town. Although sometimes if Willow catches an animal by the tail then I have to slit its throat. She's too squeamish.

By the time we have been to the lake and gathered the plants we already have a full bag. We've collected 6 types of medical plants, loads of raspberries and black berries, Willow has shot 3 squirrels and she caught two of them by the tail, and we've collected 4 types of herbs.

My best friend and I sit down by the lake and nibble on sandwiches and sip our warm tea. As we sit I take out a few jars and put my share of herbs into them before doing the same with jars that Willow brought and stuffing the left over herbs back in my bag to sell. I brought 2 containers so I split the berries that we collected without leaving spares because we will probably eat them before we get to the Hob tomorrow morning. Willow keeps all the squirrels because neither Haymitch nor myself need them. Willow and I also separate the medical herbs because half will go to Mrs Everdeen and half will go to the apothecary.

After everything have been sorted out Willow takes her things and puts them into a bag that she has and we both sling our bags on our shoulders as we get up and walk back to the fence. At the fence we check to make sure it isn't live and then we see if the coast is clear before we slip back inside the District.

Willow and I discreetly part ways and I sneak back over to the Victors Village. Its now pretty late so Haymitch will be dead drunk and passed out but it isn't him I have to worry about. I just have to make sure the Peacekeepers don't see me or they will be suspicious.

Thankfully I make it home without being seen. I go into the kitchen and deposit the jars of herbs before I head upstairs and take a shower. I only take a quick shower but its enough to clean my hair and my body.

I grab one of Haymitch's clean and unused undershirts that I keep in my room to sleep in. I pull the shirt on along with a pair of plaid pajama pants. I hop into bed and snuggle into my blankets.

Just as I'm about to drift off to sleep a thought pops into my mind. I don't know where it came from or how I got it but it now seems like the most obvious thing in the world. I can't believe it hasn't come to mind in the last five months.

I'm going to be reaped and I don't know how to fight.

___________________________________________________________

A/N: Please don't hate me for how short it is! I was having major problems because I didn't want to jump straight to the victory tour so I needed a filler but I wanted to give you something so that is why I ended it there instead of carrying on and writing a load of crap.

I'm so sorry but I promise the next chapter is the victory tour.

Please Comment Or Vote if you like the story!

Thank you,

TheKatInTheHat12 :)