Chapter 19

Bridget:

I've spent the last couple of months training. Everyday I've been out throwing knives at trees and working on my stamina. It's hard work but I'll be better prepared for the games which I'd much rather survive the bloodbath than die first.

Right now I'm alone. Willow had to stay home today and help Mrs Cob with something. I'm working my hardest because tomorrow I'll be on a train to the Capitol as a tribute. I really don't think I'll be the Victor but I will just have to die trying.

I throw one, two, three knives at one tree. They hit on one outside ring, one inside ring and the last hits just off dead center on the target I've drawn. I'm getting better but I'm not perfect. I pull the knives out and place them into my belt.

I move on to my cooking skills. I quickly skin the rabbit I caught earlier. I gut it the I start a fire with flint and dry wood. As soon as the blaze starts I make a stand and a spit roaster to roast the rabbit. In the end it actually tastes pretty good. I take a cloth and place several berries I had picked earlier and hold the tips of the cloth so the berries don't fall out. I hold the berries just over the now small fire. The berries get warm and add extra smoothness to the juice and skin of the fruit.

Now that I've filled my stomach I decide it's time to try running. I've always been a pretty good runner so it isn't too difficult to be fast and have good stamina for me. I just love the feel of the cool wind rushing past my face as I glides though the air. I love the sound the wind makes as it swooshes past my ears. One of my favorite smells is the smell of soil under my feet. I love the sound of leaves crunching under my feet as I quickly set my foot down and let it shoot back up as I stride.

I've always been a fast runner. I was one of the fastest runners in my school. I guess when everyone else got slower, the things that make me love running made me faster. I run the path I decided on almost half a year ago. I swerve past trees and fallen branches. I run until my muscles ache from excursion.

I feel like I'm about to die so flop onto the ground. I lay on my back as I watch the clouds above me. I watch the birds fly high above me.

I would love to be one of them. I wouldn't have to worry about the games or Snow or anything. I would be careless as I flew above the trees; as I flew above the hurt and anger and sickness, I'd be free.

My throat thickens so I shake my head to clear it. I take one deep breath before I get up. I start the trek back to the district. On my way I grab the game bag filled with rabbits, squirrels, and birds. I make it to the fence and slide under when the coast is clear. I jog through the meadow until I'm back in the streets of the seam. I stroll through until I get to the Hob.

I get in and I'm hit by all these different smells and it just feels like home. I saunter over to Greasy Sae and sell her some of my squirrels. Next I go over to Ripper and get a bottle of alcohol for Haymitch. I go back to Greasy Sae and get a bowl of her stew so u can sit and eat it.

"What's up Abernathy?" I hear a bright voice question.

"Oh you know. The sky." I give him a smart ass remark.

"Very funny. I've missed your sarcasm around here." He smiles at me when I look up to see the red headed man.

"I've been a little busy these last couple of months, Darius." I smile back.

"You need to try to be less busy." He smirks.

"I can't really help that can I." I wink.

"You can make it up to me." He shrugs.

"How how might that be my good Peacekeeper?" I ask sarcastically.

Darius doesn't reply for a few seconds before his face lights up. "By giving me this dance."

"Eh," I shrug. "What the hell?" I smile as I get up.

At first we mock the waltz until the song on the radio changes. Darius starts to do some weird dance moves which makes me double over in laughter. I actually have tears streaming down my face as he continues to dance like an idiot.

"God love you, Darius." I choke out in between laughs.

"Everybody loves the Darius." The red head winks at me.

"You are a strange one." I tell him when my laughs have calmed down.

"Thank you for the dance, mademoiselle." Darius mock bows.

"Thank you for the entertainment, jester." I wink as I throw away my empty styrofoam soup bowl. "See ya Darius, see ya Sae."

"Bye Bridget." They say as I walk out of the Hob.

It's already pitch black outside. I didn't realize how late it was until I saw the clock when I walk in the door. It's already 10pm.

I go upstairs and quickly jump in the shower. I scrub down and get out, making sure to thoroughly dry off. I slide into a pair of pajamas and I'm so tired that I have to drag myself into bed. My last thought before I drift off is of tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be reaped for the Hunger Games.

___________________________________________________________

A/N

So the next chapter is the last one...

Sorry it's short...