Chapter 8

Bridget:

I sigh in relief as the two girls shake hands. There was something in Renée's voice that made me believe she wasn't going to kill Summer. There was also Finnick, too.

"Don't worry, Renée won't kill her allies unless her allies attack her first." Finnick assures me.

"How can you be sure?" I ask suspiciously.

"Because I know her family. She's the younger cousin of my good friend Annie Cresta." He explains.

"Oh. She's a victor in your district too, right?" I ask.

"Yeah."

After that we sit and watch the Games. It's day two and 11 tributes are already dead. That is quite a high amount. Not much else happens today besides what happened earlier. Mostly they show the careers and Summer and Renée. They mostly try to find a water source while hunting a little. The careers recruited the District 8 kid, Flax I think, to be the new guard dog for the supplies. Augustus almost killed him but then his district partner, Sparkle as I heard him call her, and District 2's male, Ryker, convinced him to keep Flax to watch the supplies.

I can see on the screen that Summer and Renée are close to a waterfall. Granted a small one but it still will supply them with water. They are pretty dehydrated and so is the District 11 boy who... Just got to the waterfall.

___________________________________________________________

Summer:

Renée and I have been walking for about a couple of hours. As we have been trying to find some water, Renée has been using her bow to kill some animals for food. So far she has killed 2 rabbits and 4 squirrels. The only times we've stopped toay have been to cook the animals or to rest every now and again because we are a little dehydrated an running low on energy.

As we walk I hear a faint rushing noise to my left so I enform Renée and we agree to check it out. To me it sounds like a waterfall and I only know the sound from watching a previous Hunger Games. As we get closer we can smell water lilies which just strengthens my suspicions and hope that it is a waterfall. It has to be a waterfall. It just has to be.

As we walk closer there is a lot of vegetation. We finally brake through the brush an come to a small waterfall that rops into a small lake or a rather large pond. The smell was indeed water lilies. I take a look of the surroundings of the waterfall an see that it is hidden by layers of lush green vegetation around it that include climbing ivy to beautiful full weeping willows. I have to choke back tears as i catch sight of the beautiful trees because they bring forward painful memories of home and the more painful memories of my sweet little sister.

I hear the sound of metal scraping along metal as Renée loads her bow quickly just as a pair of strong arms wrap around my neck in a choke hold. I twist me head around just enough to see who my captor is and it happens to be the 16 year old District 11 male. I remember him saying his name was Spud.

I start to panick as i feel the blade of a machete press into the skin on my neck.

"Let her go." Renée tells Spud sternly.

"No. You'll just kill me when I do. You always do. You're a career." He spits back at her.

"Do you see Augustus? Do you see Sparkle? Or even Ryker or Anwyn? No. I left the careers." She names the careers like they disgust her.

"Sure..." Spud doesnt believe her.

"It's true. We ran into each other and she refused to kill me so we became allies." I tell him.