Chapter 10

Renée:

BOOM! I here a cannon go off. I wake Summer from her sleep and tell her. All of a sudden a second cannon goes off and this one sounds closer than the last. Summer and I quickly gather our things together and make a run for it. Once we feel that we have put enough distance we stop for a break at... The wrong time. Augustus from One has just stopped as well. This should be good.

Augustus lunges at Summer pinning her to the ground under his crushing weight and I stand wide eyes and frozen. As Augustus raises his sword I am snapped out of my daze so I try to tackle him but I'm too late. His sword stabs Summer's heart.

"No!" I scream.

___________________________________________________________

Bridget:

"No!" Renée screams at the same time I do.

I sit gaping at the screen. I had covered my mouth after I screamed so I don't disturb the victor mentors. My eyes start to water and Haymitch looks at me apologetically. Soon my vision is blurred from the tears that spill from my eyes. I shake my head. This can't be true it just can't. This is a nightmare! I get up and run out of the room. I run to my room. I don't even remember deciding to but I ended up sitting on the bathroom floor in a ball crying my eyes out.

Why? Why did it have to be Summer? She had so much going for her. She was smart, pretty, athletic. She was going to be someone! Now that the president killed her it means she doesn't have the chance at a life because she's DEAD!

I sob into my hands before walking into my bedroom and sobbing into my pillow for what feels like days. How can Summer be gone?! I look at my clock and its been 7 hours since I left the Victors lounge. I hear a knock on my door.

"Hey it's me." A low male voice says. I don't have to ask who 'me' is.

"Door is open." I tell him quietly.

"I know you're not okay but would it help to talk about it?" Finnick asks me as he sits next to me on my bed.

"No." I sigh. "I don't want to talk."

He understands completely and just opens his arms. His hug is comforting to me now as though he's my big brother and I've known him all my life. We sit there for a while just holding each other in the embrace. Once we pull away Finn breaks our silence.

"Renée killed Augustus. She avenged Summer's death." He looks at me sadly.

"Good." I smile pathetically at him.

"There are only four people left. District 2, Renée, and Barker from 7. Both the 10 girl and 8 guy were killed by Augustus."

"Okay so that means Renée is one step closer to winning right?"

"Yup."