Chapter 3

Bridget:

The ride on the train to the Capitol was fairly pleasant despite the reason for the journey. It was my first time riding in a train and I was surprised that you can't really feel the ride at all.

As we pull into the station at the Capitol I notice, thankfully, that we aren't the first here but we aren't last either. There are five other districts here and they are 1,2,4,7 and 11 and I can see Haymitch smile out of the corner of my eye. He told me that his good friend Chaff is from 11 and he has a son and daughter my age. I'm no good at introducing myself so I hope I can slip away and sit somewhere and read my book, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Of course I'm dead wrong because the Capitol cameras are everywhere and as soon as Haymitch and I step off the train we have so many cameras flashing in our faces we have to push people just to get in a car to get to the training center. There are even twenty camera people waiting at the training center when we get out of the car.

"Do they all really have to stick there cameras in our faces?!" I ask Haymitch as we get into the reporter free lobby, a little peeved.

"Not used to all the attention, mini Haymitch?" Asked a male voice from behind me.

"No and it's really starting to piss me off!" I say as I turn and see Panem's sex symbol. Bronze haired, green eyed, Finnick Odair.

"Ha! Well try being me for a change and see which amount of attention you like better." He tells me with an adorable half smile.

"I'm good thanks." I snap at him with some sarcasm.

"Bridget Annabelle don't be so rude!" Haymitch try's to correct me in his drunken state.

"Nah it's cool Haymitch. I prefer her being sarcastic than how most girls are when they see me." He says with an arrogant look on his face.

"Can I please go somewhere to read my book?" I ask Haymitch trying to act bitchy while suppressing a smile.

Finnick can tell that I'm only acting so he says "What? And skip a day to hang out with me?" He says sarcastically with a fake look of hurt.

"Not every girl is brought to there knees at the sight of you Odair." Says a male voice from next to Haymitch.

I scream because I wasn't expecting it and everyone laughs at me.

"Chaff! You shouldn't give my daughter a heart attack!" Haymitch says in between fits of laughter.

"Please can someone be kind enough to tell me where I can go to read my book!" I almost shout now that I'm really mad.

"Yeah, umm Peyton will show you around." Chaff tells me still laughing before he calls over a girl that must be his daughter. He introduces us and asks her to show me around.

She leads me to an elevator before we say anything that isn't hi.

"Sorry about my dad." She apologizes.

"No, it's fine. I'm easily scared anyway."

"Oh okay. Well as you may know our dads are good friends."

"Yeah Haymitch told me. Don't you have a twin or something?" I ask.

"Mm hm, his name is Preston." She tells me.

"Cool." When the elevator stops on the last floor, floor 12, we step out and she tells me to pick a room. I pick the one at the end of the hall nearest the exit door. Peyton then goes back down the hall and picks up a key card from the table next to the elevator.

"Okay so here's your key. Do you want to stay here and read your book or do you want me to show you where the victors lounge is?"

"Are we allowed in the victors lounge?" I ask her. I thought only victors went there.