chapter thirty one- we'll figure it out

*Charlie's pov*
Meghan comes in and softly closes the door behind her. She silently sits on the edge of the bed and looks at the floor. I move to sit next to her, rubbing her back softly. Her hair falls in front of her face in a curtain, and she makes no move to fix it. I rub my hand in circles and notice her breathing is irregular. I pull her hair behind her head and twist it, holding it away from her neck and blow on it, cooling her down. She burys her face in her hands and sobs quietly. Now, in our sixteen years of marriage I have learned not to fuck with her when she is in this...mood. She shifts and buries her head in my shoulder, muffling her sobs with my shirt. I rest my chin on the top of her head and rock her back and forth, moving her onto my lap as I continue blowing on her neck. Her sobs trickle off to short hiccuped breaths. I softly kiss her forehead and continue rocking her. She moves her hands to my shoulders and lifts her head to look at me, her blue green eyes are briming with tears. She let's out an exasperated sigh and pushes her long bangs out of her face as I let it drop back onto her neck and shoulders. I swipe a tear away with the pad of my thumb and kiss her forehead softly as she takes another shuddering breath, squeezing her eyes closed, another tear falling. I kiss her cheek where the tear falls, tasting the salty residue of her sadness. She takes in a deep breath and reaches over to her nightstand to grab her water. She drinks the whole thing and gets up, muttering about getting more water. I fall onto my back, sighing heavily and stare at the ceiling. I hear the door click open and shut. I don't turn my head because I assume it's Meghan.
"Daddy" a soft voice asks. I sit up and hug Charlotte as she crawls up into my lap, her straight red hair whisping around her face.
"What's wrong baby" I ask. She nuzzles into my arms and plays with the long chain around my neck. Its a anniverary present from Meghan, it is a train whistle that has mtrain love engraved on it. A six month anniversary gift.
"I had a bad dream" she says. I sit her up and look her in the eye.
" was it about" I ask. She looks down for a second.
"You and mommy jumped" she says. What the hell?
"From where baby" I ask, hugging her. She points. I follow her finger to our balcony. "Oh,muffin. We would never. We love you, Logan and B. We would never leave you. Here," I say setting her down on the floor and crouching so we are eye to eye. "Let me go get mommy and she and I will sing a song to make you feel better, okay" I ask, getting on one knee to stand up. She laces her fingers together and props her chin up with them, nodding. "Okay, I'll be right back" I say rubbing her arm and setting her back on the bed. I take one final look behind me and see her shivering on the bed. "Cece, there is a blanket right there" I say, pointing to the fuzzy blanket next to paddles. She carefully moves paddles out of the way and pulls the blanket over her lap, pulling it up to her shoulders. I smile lightly at her and close the door. I walk down the hall, carefully checking on Logan and walking back the other way. I see something on the small trunk that catches my eye, backpeddling from the top of the stairs. Meghans cup. I notice the bright strip of flourecent light coming from under Brooklyn's door. I look at Meghan's empty cup, knowing damn well what I'm about to do. I take the cup and press It to the door. I sigh lightly and press my ear to the other side of it. At first all I get are muffled voices, but then they become clear.
"...but how" Meghan asks, crying.
"I'm, so sorry" Brooklyn hiccups.
"Is it...is it Jace's" Meghan asks again, taking a breath. There is a sillntce. "Hun," Meghan says. "You have to tell him" she says.
"I know" Brooklyn sobs. "What am I supposed to say 'Jace, I'm pregnant-'" my already loose grip on the cup falls slack and the cup crashes to the ground, shattering on impact.

*meghans pov*

"Mom" Brooklyn asks slowly as I drop my head into my hands. He knows now.
"B, I know-" Charlie barges in, shutting the door behind him and holding his bloody hand. I gasp. "Char" I ask softly. His gaze doesn't wander from Brooklyn. I sigh and stand up, putting some distance between him and Brooklyn. Brooklyn shrinks back into the corner of her bed as I take a step forward, folding my hands around the backkof his neck. His eyes flick to mine in a warm look, then back to Brooklyn in a hard stare.
"Cece needs us" he says, not returning my gaze. I nod and look back at Brooklyn, mouthing 'I'll be back soon'. She nkds microscopically and I follow Charlie into the bedroom, past the shards of glass on the trunk. I lead him into the bathroom first and clean his hand, wrapping if in gauze before looking at him. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and he places his hands on my waist, pulling me closer. I kiss him and follow him back to Charlotte, who is wrapped up on the bed.
"What's wrong baby" I ask.
"I had a bad dream" she says, cuddling me. I look at Charlie. He finger walks across his palm, letting them fall of his fingertips. Then he points to the balcony. I nod and kiss the top of her head "Daddy said you we're gonna sing" she whimpers. I look to Charlie. Be mouths 'like I'm gonna lose you'. I nod and start to rock her.
"I found myself dreaming, in silver and gold. Like a scene from a movie that every broken heart knows. Woke up on tears, with you by my side, breath of relief and I realized, no we're not promised tomorrow, so I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you and I'm gonna hold you like I'm saying goodbye. Wherever we're standing I won't take you for granted, cause well never know when well run out of time, so I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you" I sing softly. She bats her eyes closed and I carefully stand up, Charlie following me. I kiss her forehead and pull her blanket over her. Charlie holds me by my waist and we enter Brooklyn's room again. She is curled in a ball, staring up at the blank cealing. I look at Charlie, who looks sad. I give his arm a reassuring pat and sit down next to Brooklyn, pulling her head into my lap and stroking her hair. She meets m eyes and slowly blows out an unsure breath as if fighting off tears.
"I don't know what to do" she says, crying.
"Don't worry, well figure it out" I whisper and squeeze Charlie's hand.

A/n: YOU GUYS I WENT TO THE CONCERT ON 7/21 AND SHE WAVED AT ME AND SAID "I SEE YOU BOO" AND WAVED AGAIN. I WRAPPED MYSELF IN LIGHTS AND WAS JUMPING UP AND DOWN THE ENTIRE TIME AND OH MY GOD THE MARLIE FEELS WERE SO STRONG LIKE I CRIED AND JUST UGH I WISH I COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN BC IT WAS SO FUCKING AMAZING