chapter twenty four- is that...

*third person pov*
"Charles Otto Puth, I swear to Jesus Christ, if you walk out of this house it is over" Meghan screams between tears. Charlie's back is facing the door when he speaks.
"Meghan, what is over. You know this thing has been going downhill since Perri died. And now, your expecting for me to feel obligated to stay because of Charlotte. Well, news flash I DON'T" he screams and turns around.
"Charlie this was a mistake" Meghan says, shaking her head.
"What Meghan, what was a mistake. Getting pregnant? Leaving the kids with my brother that day? What was it, please I need to know" he says, impatiently crossing the room. "Was the mistake marrying me? Or was it falling in love with me in general, because I know you have said that before" he snarls, shooting a disgusted look at her. She starts sobbing.
"Charlie, I may regret a lot of things in my life, leaving our defenseless baby with your brother is one of them, but falling in love with you was and always will be the best thing I have ever done in my entire life. Charlie, falling in love with you was like a fucking slap in the face. You pulled me out of the pit I dug for myself when Perri died. Even if you walk out that door and don't come back, a piece of me will always love you, because you, Mr Puth, wIll always be the love of my life, you may not feel the same, but I always will" Meghan says, still quietly sobbing. Charlie comes close enough to kiss.
"Meghan," he says cupping her cheek. She leans into his hand and holds it in both of hers. "I ment every single word of that song. Meg, I need you. But, I'm so sorry. I need a break" he says and pulls her in for a hug. He kisses her forehead and wipes her tears away. He casts one last tearful glance at her shaking body crumpled in a heap on the floor, then walks out of the house. She places a hand on her five month belly. Another girl. Charlotte. Charlotte Olivia Puth. She stayed in the ground for a good ten minutes, sobbing. Then there is a small hand on her back.
"Mom, it's gonna be okay" a four year old Brooklyn squeaks.
"I know honey, I know" Meghan says and wipes her tears. She leads Brooklyn into the kitchen and makes her a sandwich. Later that night, after Brooklyn was tucked neatly into her bed. Meghan stood outside on the patio, hugging herself as she sobbed, a hand covering her mouth to muffle the cries. She glanced down the nine foot drop, contemplating whether to jump. For one horrible second, she didn't give a second thought about Brooklyn, as if she we're some strangers child forced into her life. Like she didn't even know who her own daughter was. She screamed at the thought of that and then doubled over, screaming and crying all at the same time. The hot liquids poured down her face as she tried to frutratedly to just let go of the thought of Charlie. After what felt like twenty minutes of crouching in a small huddle of frustrated tears, she felt arms wrap around her. Before she even realized she was standing again and before she realized who was holding her close, a mouth crashed against hers. She kept her eyes tightly shut as he pulled away. He looked at her for a long while, stoking her hair, taking in her beauty. He kissed her forehead and then spoke.
"Please, open your beautiful eyes" he whispers to her, wanting to get lost in their vivid green.
"I'm scared that if I do you'll....you'll leave again" she says. The reality of it all hit him and he stumbled backwards a little, letting go of her so he didn't make her fall. She started crying again and he rushed back to her. He put her head to his chest so she could hear his heartbeat.
"Meghan, you hear this? I'm not leaving. Ever again" he says, lingering on her subtle accent. He keeps these moments tucked safely in his brain because he knows someday, that's all he will have. Memories. Meghan pops her green eyes open and looks up at him, innocently. He looks down at her and takes a mental snapshot of her perfect face. He has a lot of those. Her smile is her favorite. He tilts her chin up and she wraps her arms around his shoulders. She almost reads his thoughts, and allows him a heart melting smile. It wasn't a complete one, though. The smile just touched the corners of her eyes, no more. He watched her as she swayed in small circles as they danced to some mysterious beat flowing through both of their heads. She leaned her head on his shoulder and silently cried, knowing this wouldn't be the last fight, but loving him to much to care about what was to come. He placed his hands on her belly, right as their daughter kicked. He smiled and watched her distended stomach shift as the baby moved. Click. Auto save. At this exact moment, Charlie was thinking just how lucky he was to have his Meghan, and how stupid he was to ever leave her in the first place. Meghan was thinking about why she wasn't good enough for Charlie to say I'm sorry and mean it.

*meghans pov*

Let me tell you one thing, having teens is not easy. Charlie and I sat in the music room, working on our new song and messing around a little in the recording Booth.
"CHARLOTTE, I SWEAR TO GOD. LEAVE ME ALONE" Brooklyn screams and slams her bedroom door.
"SCREW YOU BROOKLYN" Charlotte screams and slams her door. I look at Charlie.
"Should we" I ask, pointing to the stairs. Charlie smiles cutely and pulls my waist close.
"I think they can figure it out themselves" he says and kisses me for a loooooooooong time. I smile and blush when he pulls away. We continue writing and messing around with melodies. We hear both doors open then go quiet to try to make out their conversation.
"Brooklyn, I'm sorry. Here. I just wanted to hang with you" Charlotte says.
"Thanks. Wanna have that dance party now" she asks. I can almost hear the devilish grin on her face.
"I can't I have cheer" Charlotte says.
"Oh yeah, I have dance" Brooklyn says and I hear them walk downstairs. I hop back on top of the piano and we pretend we are working.
"Act natrual." Charlie starts laughing like a lunitic. I glare at him. "What part of 'act natrual' is so hard for you to understand, darling" I ask as we grab the car keys to take the kids to their stuff. I drive and we drop Brooklyn off at the middle school first, because it's super close to our house. Then we drop off Brooklyn. We drive around downtown for a while because if we got home it would already be time to pick them up. We pull into a parking spot and sit, talking. I remember when we got stuck on the side of a deserted freeway, good times. Hah. HAH. As if. After we pick up the kids, we eat dinner. Pizza of course. I act like I don't see Brooklyn hand her crust off to Sadie. Only once a week do I let the kids feet Sadie table scraps and that day is Thursday. Since Charlotte is 13 and Brooklyn is 17, you can imagine they don't get along that great. But every once in a while:
"DO YOU EVER POST YOUR PICS WITH NO FILTER. HASH TAG I WOKE UP LIKE THIS TOO" Brooklyn screams.
"THEM GIRLS BE LIKE, THEM GIRLS BE LIKE, THEM GIRLS BE LIKE, THEM GIRLS BE LIKE, THATS WHAT WE BE LIKE. LOVING THIS LIFE CAUSE WE REALLY DON'T CARE" Charlotte screams and then they sing in normal voices. Brooklyn sounds exactly like Ariana Grande, and Charlotte sounds like me, Taylor Swift and Liz Gilles, all mixed together. That equals amazing. They are both uber talented. They can both sing amazingly, write really well, play piano, ukulele and guitar. I gave them both Mac book pros for Christmas so they can use grace band to self produce, and we have a recording Booth in the music room. I think the'll do okay. I mean, that is how I started. Oh jeeze. Now I got dragged onto Brooklyn's bed as we sing as loud as we can along with the song. Suddenly 'title' blares through the speakers. The whole goddamned album! I sing to every song and they dance around.
"What was that" they ask at the same time, collapsing on the bed out of breath.
"My Breakout album" I say and flop onto the beanbag chair. They look at me.
"That was-"
"Amazing" Brooklyn finishes.
"That it was" Charlie butts in.

*Charlie's pov*

"So, we have this project for school where we need to ask our parents how they met" Charlotte says as she bursts in the front door with Brooklyn. I look at Meghan and she drops her head.
"Nooooooo" she whines, only loud enough for me to heat it. Charlotte drops her cheer leading duffle bag and tightens her long platnum ponytail, straightening out her crop top that stops at her ribs and her tight mini skirt that stops mid thigh. The black and neon green look good together. The shirt extremely v- neck, but there is one of those things under it. A spotlrtsbra? Bandeaux? I'm pretty sure it's that. As you can assume I wasn't thrilled about my daughter dressing like a slut, but she really enjoys it. Brooklyn's caramel brown hair falls in beachy waves down to her stomach and she us wearing a blue elephant crop top and her black joggers. Her hair has a black headband in it, like the one Meghan wore for the Marvin gaye video. Holy crap, we have to show it to them. Meghan is already getting the laptop out and searching YouTube. We get to the part of the kiss and Meghan snuggles closer under my arm, trying to hide her face with her hands.
"Stop, your beautiful" I whisper and kiss her temple.
"Very funny" she says and closes the laptop. The kids kinda just stare at us, then each other.
"So we're you guys dating" Brooklyn asks. Meghan shakes her head, her amazing blonde hair fanning out in a circle then falling back to her ribs.
"Wait, so was that a fake kiss" Charlotte asks. Meghan giggles nervously and I smile at the sound, her laugh is so fricken adorable.
"No, that was our first kiss. We did that song together and we had to kiss. I freaked out and couldn't do it the first time" Meghan says and I laugh at the memories of how cute she looked, all scared and nervous.
"Okayeee" Charlotte says and takes her stuff upstairs. Brooklyn looks really calm ad then I see it. A tatoo on my daughters rib cage.
"Is that..." Meghan asks. I nod.
"Brooklyn Paisley Puth, get over here right now. She turns around and gives me a major oh shit look. Oh, she has no idea.