chapter twenty one- drop everything now

*Charlie's pov*

Its been almost a day since Meghan left -since I made her leave- and it's killing me. I've tried calling her, but she obviously didn't answer. I can't believe I did that, I just got so fed up with the day. Right now, I am sitting on the floor I  the exact spot I was in when she hit me back. My face is tear streaked and I feel utterly pathetic. Maybe if I call Emmy...
"Hello" Emmy asks.
"Heeeey" I say, almost whispering.
"Oh, Charlie. Meghan is in...the...shower" she says, almost like a question.
"Okay, can you tell her I really need to talk to her ASAP. Please" I say, struggling not to lose it.
"Mmhm, sure. Okay, well bye" she says.
"Bye" I say. I don't hang up though because Emmy doesn't.
"Meghan, he's heart broken too. You have to talk to him. Just go, I'll watch Brooklyn" she says.
"Emmy, believe me I want to so bad. I'm just scared of him, what if he's still drunk" Meghan sobs. Oh Jesus, I did this.
"He's not, okay. Just go" Emmy orders. Then thunder rattles the house. Meghan is sobbing and then she screams.
"Its okay, baby. Its okay" she says, comforting Brooklyn.
"Meghan..." Emmy says.
"Okay, geeze, I will. I'll go in an hour, let me get ready" she says, sniffling. Then I hang up and shove off the ground, getting ready for Meghan. Right when I finish getting dressed, my phone pings.

Meghan
    Meet me outside. Now

I smile, this is my chance. I run my hand  through my wet hair and look outside. Its pouring rain, like storming really hard. I straighten out my white tee shirt and open the front door. Meghan is standing under an umbrella. She stares at me and starts smiling.
"Drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain. Kiss me on the sidewalk take away my pain" she sings from the front yard. I smile. "Charlie-" I stop her. I run out in the rain and kiss her passionately. She drops her umbrella and runs her hands through my hair. I pull her as close as possible without squishing her. She pulls away and starts crying.
"Shh, baby I'm here. I'm so sorry" I whisper to her as she leans her head on my shoulder. At this point we are both completely soaked. I love her to much to care. I flash back to that day:

"Meghan Elizabeth Trainor, will you be mine forever"

I still can't believe she said yes. We begin swaying in slow circles. Dancing in the rain, check that off the bucket list. After a while, she starts shivering. I kiss her and rub her arms. We get in the car in drive to Emmys house. Meghan comes back with Brooklyn and the diaper bag.
"Charlie, she started crawling" she says.
"Wow. She's growing so fast" I say. Meghan nods.
"Pretty soon she'll be walking and talking" she says sadly. I nod as we pull into the driveway. We are both still soaking wet and I watch Brooklyn as Meghan showers. After she comes out I get in the shower and then my pajamas. Meghan is singing Brooklyn to sleep and I wait for her in the hallway. We go into the dedroom and watch some Netflix.
"Pretty soon, she'll be getting her heart broken" I say, frowning at the thought of my baby girl being sad. Meghan nods. I kiss her and then we fall asleep.

*meghans pov*

I hold Brooklyn as Charlie walks through the door with tons of aqua and turquoise streamers. We have everything set up for Brooklyn's first birthday. I set Brooklyn on the ground so she can crawl around,so I can help Charlie put up the streamers. Brooklyn claps and i look over to where I left her. She's not there. I panic slightly until I see her next to Charlie's chair.
"Holy ducktail. Charlie don't move" I tell him. He looks down to see Brooklyn standing next to him smiling.
"Did she just..." he asks, noticing I didn't leave her there. I nod. I go a few feet away from Charlie and hold my arms open.
"Cmere baby" I say to her. She slowly starts walking over to me. Tears fill my eyes as she wobbles into my arms. "Charlie" I say and wipe my tears away. I put Brooklyn down and turn on my music so we can power through the decorating. Broolyln is wiggling around and Charlie takes a video. I do too and post it to instagram. She giggles and continues dancing.
"Mama" she laughs as I pick her and dance with her. I look at Charlie shocked as she claps.
"Meghan" he says, a little out of breath. I go over to him and hug him.
"Say Dada Brooklyn. Da-da" I say and tickle her.
"Mama" she says smiling. Charlie looks a little dissappointed.
"Hey, it's okay. Its only a matter of time" I say. He nods and kisses her cheek, going back to hanging streamers. After we are done, people start filing in. We go into the backyard and start the barbecue. Emmy and I dance with Brooklyn as Charlie makes food.  After everyone leaves, I put Brooklyn to bed. I go back downstairs to where Charlie stands in the dimly lit living room.
"What's going on here, buddy" I ask suspiciously. He holds his hand out to me and I gladly accept it.
"I love you" he whispers.
"I love you to" I say and lean my head on his shoulder as we being to sway in slow circles. Charlie starts softly singing 'stand by me'. I look into his eyes and then the unexpected happens.
"Meghan, I want another baby."
"Um...I sorta do too. But we should wait till Brooklyn is older. I want at least a three year gap. Maybe I can make an exception for you. I still want to wait though" I say.
"Okay" he says and kisses me. I smile and we go upstairs.
"Goodnight, love" I say. He kisses my forehead.