35. Loudest Silence

Sorry if it makes you sad, it wasn't easy to write, but it will get better for the characters. Hmm, the song is a Spanish song, I know the story is in English, but I was listening to this song and it just seemed to fit, the mood. You can get the gist of it from the video. If you're interested, I can tell you what it says.

--------------------

He died. He died. It keeps repeating in my mind. I can't believe he is dead. How do I tell them? Do we travel to attend his funeral? Can we afford it? Can I stand there to see him be laid down to rest? I'm a widow now not a divorcee. The process was stalled when his health deteriorated. I don't want to keep his last name. It leaves me in possession of all of his things. I don't want to have to deal with all of it. Going in person will make the process quicker, but do I want the twins to attend a funeral at their age? They're too young for that. They have enough with knowing Xavier is no longer part of our lives and now he is dead, he won't be. I don't know what to do.

"Cristian!" Michael exclaims.

"What? Yes?" I ask.

"Are you alright? I've been trying to grab your attention for a while."

"Yes, what did you need?"

"Are you done with the editing for tomorrow's articles?"

"Yes, they're ready for publication."

"Okay, thanks."

I should call Ryan and tell him the news and see what he thinks. Should I call Kyle too? How am I going to tell the twins?

"Ryan. How are you?"

"Good and you?"

"Xavier died. I got the call from the hospital."

"Oh, when?"

"Earlier today."

"Are you going to claim his body?"

"I have to."

"So you're arranging a funeral?"

"I have to."

"Do you want me to take care of it?" Ryan asks.

"Yes, could you begin arranging the funeral. I don't know if I want to attend. Do I want the twins to attend? They're too young for that. They'll have enough with knowing their other dad is no longer with us. I don't know how they're going to take it. They were adjusting. And then because the divorce wasn't finalized I'm a widow, so I have to deal with his things."

"Slow down, Cristian. First, you're coming back? Have you thought about plane tickets? If you can get days off from work?"

"No, I haven't looked at plane tickets. It's a family emergency." I state. "I don't think I can afford the plane tickets. I'm still looking for an apartment."

"I can pay for the tickets and if you want you can pay me back later. You don't have to." Ryan adds when I start to protest.

"Okay."

"You will be getting whatever the value is for the house Xavier and you own and the other possessions you shared, so that will helped."

"I hate thinking about that."

"I know, but you will have to deal with all of that."

"I know."

"Okay, so for when should I get the plane tickets?"

"I don't know. How long do you think it will take for them to release his body?"

"I'm not sure, but the funeral plans need to be done and a date is to be known."