12. New Year

Sorry for the long wait! Here's the next chapter enjoy!

------------------

The twins sit in between us as we watch all the world’s new year festivities on TV. They are trying to stay awake for the new year. It is amusing and adorable to see them try. They brought their coloring books, books, games, and countless other things, but they slowly fall asleep around eleven. Rocky along with them now that no one is playing with him.

“They fell asleep at last.” I whisper at Xavier.

“Yes.” He responds. “They almost made it.”

“We can wake them up at midnight.” I tell him. 

“Or let them sleep.”

“Yes, but they tried so hard.”

“Okay. We’ll wake them up and then take them to bed.”

“Yes, so Mr. Valle Castro, what wishes do you have for this new year?” Xavier asks.

“To continue to be a happy family. What wishes do you have for this new year?” I ask. 

“To take care of my family, especially love my husband.” Xavier responds with a smile. 

I smile, “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Almost at the strike of midnight, we try waking the twins. They mumble and turn their heads.

“Angel, Celestine it’s almost a new year.” Xavier says.

Angel opens his eyes to look around, but then closes them reaching for my hand. I suppress a chuckle.

“I guess that means take me to bed, daddy.” Xavier says.

“It must be.” I smile. “Let’s take them to bed then.”

They don’t make a sound as we carry them to their bed. Angel makes himself more comfortable in my arms. I turn to look at Celestine in Xavier’s arms and she’s done the same. I lay Angel down, feeling the difference he turns to his side and grabs his stuffed monkey slightly opening his eyes.

“Dad.” He mumbles.

“Goodnight.” I say giving him a kiss. 

I then go to Celestine, who is cuddling her stuffed monkey. 

“How long do you think they will keep sleeping with their money?” Xavier asks.

“Hmm, I don’t know, but they look adorable.” 

“They do.” Xavier responds wrapping his arm around my waist.  “Let’s go to bed too.” He says leaning to kiss me on the cheek.

“Yes.” I says starting to walk.

“When do you think we should give them their own room?” I ask.

“When they turn ten or when they start middle school?”

“That’s why I asked you.”

“You’re the one who makes the better decisions when it comes to them.”

“You do too.”

“Well, then we should just wait and see how they continue to grow.”

“Yes, that sounds better than trying to think of it now. I don’t really want to think about how quickly they’re growing either. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“But it can’t be avoided.”

“No, but let’s not think about it too much.” I say giving him a quick kiss.