Chapter 5 - From Bad to Worse - Part 1

Dipper gathered all the remaining group members and got the two jeeps out of there. No one said anything except what needed to be said.

"My friend was on that jeep." Mateo whispered to Dipper.

"I'm so sorry about that, Mateo." He said. He didn't know what it was like to lose someone he loved or knew well. All his life, Dipper had been pretty lucky that way, despite the close calls they had as kids. He thought about all the ones he cared about being lost. His little boy, his wife, his brother and sister and their families, even his Grunkles Stanford and Stanley.

They made their way to the runway and stopped near the planes. Dipper got out and helped the others. "Mr. Pines!" Matua said very angrily.

"Yes, Matua?" Dipper asked turning around.

"What on earth was that?! The temple opened and you only looked at the symbols, then a monster attacks my men and you hide in the bushes!" Matua barked.

"Matua. I knew those hieroglyphics better than anyone on your expedition. I did not know about the Earth-Mover or what it would do."

"And the bushes?" Matua said in his face.

"I....uh....I lead it out to a grazing area and it turned on the larger prey. The proper way to escape its massive wrath is to play dead. It won't beat a dead horse, so to speak so-"

"I get it. Well. I think I speak for everyone here when I say your job is done. The temple is gone and that thing as well. Thank you." Matua said sarcastically. "Your plane is waiting."

Dipper frowned at this disrespect. "I just tried to help."

"He didn't know what would happen." Mateo pitched in trying to help but ended up not.

"Granted. I wasn't aware of the Earth-Mover or what exactly I would find in that temple....but that's always been part of my job. I always pulled through despite the lack of information. I believe in things that have no explanation. I'm sorry about what happened and the four men who were killed. I'm very sorry." Dipper said. As he spoke, Matua threw his hands in the air as he gave up.

"Thank you, Mr. Pines. But your services are no longer required." Matua turned and snapped. He finished with a fake and forced smile. Dipper shrunk down in confidence.

"Ok." Was all he could say.

Suddenly a distant plane exploded where it once stood. Men marched from the jungle carrying guns pointed at everyone in front of them. They all wore strange masks with triangles over their eyes. They chanted something that sounded Latin to Dipper. Instead of declaring anything or ordering to surrender, they opened fire. Dipper fell back in defense as men around him fell by bullets. He opened his mouth to yell for Mateo but couldn't. He looked down at himself and saw he'd been shot in the left shoulder. The pain now stung at him so late into his wound. He clenched his teeth and yelled through them.

Mateo lay beside him, holding his stomach. "Mr.....P-Pines." He moaned. Dipper put his arm on Mateo's shoulder while his injured arm laid flat.

"I'm sorry, Mateo!" He said looking at him. Mateo's eyes filled with tears.

"Mr. Pines..." He gulped. "Remind my family of the love I have for them..." He gasped. Dipper turned himself over on Mateo.

"Mateo? Wait, Mateo!" He said shaking him. Mateo smiled lightly as his eyes turned to glass. His breath stopped. "I'm so sorry." Dipper bit back a sob. A few tears fell off his cheeks.

"On your feet! Mr. Pines." Hissed a man who grabbed him and forced him up. It was one of the masked men. Everyone around Dipper was either dead or masked and pointing a gun at him.

"Yes we know who you are. You destroyed our master....But we have others to follow. We are not lost after so many years." He said. Dipper turned at him with a horrified face. "Take him to his plane." He pulled off his own mask to reveal he was Matua smiling big and legitimately.