Chapter 13- Achilles

CHAPTER 13- ACHILLES

February 16
The Emerald Hotel
New York City

-Aurea-

“Err... What would you like?” Achilles asked me after a waiter handed us our menus. I took some time perusing it and so did he. Uneasiness slowly made its way through my veins as I continued reading. I found that I did not understand a single thing for the dishes were in French, Spanish, Greek, Chinese and another language I do not even know.

My tongue got all sorts of twisted as I tried to read the various dishes.

Achilles also shifted uncomfortably in his seat as if he did not really know what to do? Finally, his eyes lit up and he called the waiter. Instantly, panic seized me for I did not know what to order yet. There was no pizza or any recognizable pasta in the menu.

Dammit. This is why I hate fancy dining.

Achilles must’ve sensed my discomfort. “I’ve read the menu and they serve Greek foods. Have you tried it?” he asked. I shook my head.

“Will you allow me the honor of ordering for you?” Achilles asked me.

“Yes!” I squealed and almost sagged with relief.

Achilles flashed his dazzling smile at me and turned towards the waiter.

“For the appetizer, Tiropetes with Fassolatha. A Moussaka for me for the main course and Pastitsio for the lady. We’d both have Baklava for dessert.”

“Excellent choice, sir.” The waiter remarked.

“Your wine sir?”

“Err...” Achilles turned towards me and he looked uncomfortable once more. “Know anything about wines?” he asked in a whisper. I shook my head.

See? Another reason why I hate fine dining.

“I’ll leave the choice to you then, bring the best you’ve got.” Achilles said as he folded the menu and handed it back to the waiter. He bowed and then left the two of us in awkward silence.

Achilles was the one who first broke the monotony by leaning forward and saying, “I hope you like what I’ve ordered for you.”

I gave a nervous little laugh. I am a very picky eater. It is seldom I enjoy food that is not Pizza or Pasta and I was really nervous with the weird sounding food he ordered. He seemed to notice my discomfort for he offered to explain.

“The Appetizers I ordered for us are the Tiropethes and Fassolatha. Tiropethes is a sort of cheese pie. Mixed greek cheeses are placed inside small triangle-shaped doughs. It is a sort of finger food. The Fassolatha is a bean soup.”

I nodded to him and smiled at his choice. The Tiropethes sounds awesome. Cheese is definitely something I could eat! Cheese is abundantly seen in both Pizza and Pasta after all.

“What of the main course?” I asked him, trying to keep the conversation flowing. It is clear to me that he made an effort for this so I should at least do the same.

“I ordered Moussaka for me and Pastitsio for you. The Moussaka is one of the most famous Greek dishes. It is a sort of casserole made with eggplant, meat and béchamel sauce... And Pastitsio for you... Err...  It’s made of pasta, meat filling and béchamel sauce and then baked...”