Chapter 11- Psyche

CHAPTER 11- PSYCHE

February 15
Rudy’s Bar and Grill
New York City

-Thanatos-

“It’s still unfair, you know.” Apollo grumbled behind me.

“Bah! Get over it!” Zeus and Poseidon shouted from across the room at the same time. They were perched on our private bar, chugging down liters upon liters of beer. After the singing contest, we celebrated hard.

And now, they devised a new contest about who can drink the most beer. They’ve been there for about thirty minutes now. I say another thirty minutes more and then the lights are out for both of them.

Before they started this contest, Zeus waved his hand once more and the wall between the bar outside and out private room was erected once more. He also let go of the control he had on the mortals. Now, they are out there again, partying the night away.

“You never really did tell me how your day went.” Eros said beside me.

“It’s fine.”

“Elaborate ‘fine’” he said as he made quotation marks in the air using his fingers.

“We went out. I took her to see some of the things I did. We flew.” I shrugged.

“Flew?”

“Yes. I took her up in the air and we flew.”

“Awesome, man. I wish I truly did have wings like how the mortals portray me, you know? But if that happened then I’d be a little blonde, curly, chubby child with wings but with a bow and arrows. On second thought, nah. I’m good with this form.” He said vainly and even flexed his muscles as he scrutinized himself.

I rolled my eyes and turned my head away. I took a sip of my cold beer and sighed.

“Hey. Let’s go out of this room. I want to find a beautiful mortal girl. You can be my wingman.” Eros declared.

“What’s a wingman?” I asked. Let this not be some kind of joke about me and my wings or I swear I’ll throttle him right here.

“It’s sort of like a back-up guy. If I see a girl I like, you support me and you always got my back. You basically tell the girl to go with me and paint all of my attributes in nice colors.” He said it with pride. It was as if he was bestowing me a huge honor by telling me that I’m to become his wingman. Whatever the hell that is.

“What do I do? I don’t know anything about that.”

“Just tell her I’m the nicest person you know. Start with that. And go along with everything I say. Laugh at my jokes, and all that.” He said.

“Alright.” I replied. I don’t really know what to do but I agreed just to shut Eros up. He helped me and now I am helping him...

But... I have a feeling I’d regret this later. And I don’t really have anything else to do tonight so, what the hell?

Eros slid off his stool and I followed. We exited the private room and emerged into the crowded and noisy bar. “See anything you like?” Eros asked. He nudged me on the ribs and pointed at the array of women who sat on the swivelling bar stools. Some were perched on it seductively and were eyeing the single men across the room. Some had their backs turned and their shoulders drooped while nursing their alcoholic drinks.