Chapter 40: Boxes

George POV.

Before the blond knocked on the door he grabbed my hand, a wordless sign of support. When I gave him a squeeze of reassurance he finally knocked firmly on the door. A few moments passed with my tensions continuing to rise and boil up inside me before the door opened.

My gaze had been on the step leading from the path into the front door. How many times I had walked through this door over the years, never once knowing what would happen to me one day, what Fundy allowed to happen.

Cautiously I glanced up, expecting to see Fundy standing there but instead it was a woman. Immediately I glanced back down, knowing for certain who this must be. She could be described as nothing more than beautiful, a goddess when compared to me. Unfortunately, I could see why Fundy preferred her.

"Can I help you?" She asked, either not realising or caring about who I was.
"Yes." Clay spoke up, after seeing that I was in no mood to talk. "This is my friend George. He has some stuff here which we were wanting to grab, if that's alright with you." I don't know why he added the last part, I shifted from one foot to the other.

What if she decided that she wanted to keep my stuff. This was a woman of radiance and beauty, her stature and aura enough to show that she had all the control in the situation. It was a crime, but what if she decided to send me away without any of my stuff. Who am I to stop her? A tear rolled down my cheek.

"Of course." She replied. She took a step backwards and allowed us inside, the blond took my hand and began leading me. Despite spending years of my life here I felt like a stranger, since most of my memories had been ripped from the walls. It was just a husk now. It wasn't even just the memories.

"Are you guys redecorating?" He asked, glancing over at the woman. The entire home was void of any decorations except for the large unmovable things like the couch and the fridge.
“Yes.” She smiled proudly, walking to the other side of the room and sitting beside Fundy who I glanced away from. “We are planning on moving out of town.”

“Seriously?” The blond asked, and I noticed him looking over at me. I didn’t say anything though, instead letting go of his hand and muttering about how I was going to look for my clothes. Clay seemed hesitant but allowed me to leave the room without saying anything, instead he just looked at the two and tried to politely talk with them.

The bareness of the house continued upstairs. There were no photos or furniture, even the stuff that I had brought was gone. A worried annoyance boiled up inside me, wondering if perhaps one of the two people were cruel enough to remove my stuff. These were photos though, almost all containing me and Fundy. At the very least they were ones I wouldn’t miss.

I’ll get my stuff from my room then. It had been three days and I was craving the wardrobe which was half-full of my clothes. Clay’s clothes were nice but since he himself was only staying at Niki’s temporarily he didn’t have much. I cautiously opened the door, unsure of what I would see but preparing for anything.

The room was bare. Just the bed and the bedside tables and some boxes. All of the boxes had writing scribbled on it including ‘books’ and ‘clothes’. Nothing said ‘George’s stuff’, and my stuff wasn’t sitting around. My breathing began to pick up, fear growing that everything of mine was gone. Subconsciously I began fidgeting with my hands, just staring around anxiously.

“George?” I looked over in panic at the surprisingly soft voice. I spun around and saw the woman standing there, my replacement. “Sorry for startling you…” she stepped into the room.
“You’re Monica… right?” I asked her slowly. Unless Fundy had been sleeping around with other people. It was the first thing she had heard me say.

“I am.” She spoke before pausing for a few moments. “Are you okay? You were staring off into space.” As she spoke she walked further into the room, seeming cautious as though she was stepping into my territory. It wasn’t mine any more though, Fundy made sure of that.
“Where are my clothes?” I asked, eyes narrowed, voice firm, as though I wasn’t about to cry.

“Oh… all of these boxes are yours.” She explained. “We were packing it to send to Karl. Since we were planning on moving and didn’t know where you were staying.” As Monica said that I opened one of the boxes, seeing that she was correct and the box of books were all things that I had purchased or been gifted in the past.

“If you would like, I can help you carry them down to your car, or whatever you brought.” She offered. But I shook my head, not wanting her to help me with something which was caused by her. Reluctantly she took a step back. “Okay. I will leave you to grab your stuff.”

Monica turned and walked to the door, however she paused before she stepped out. “I just wanted to come up here to say I was sorry.” She muttered. “For everything that has happened to you, both the things that I was responsible for and everything else.” I didn’t say anything to her, leaving her to ponder before she just wordlessly walked off.

When I was alone I took a moment to process. As I sifted through the other boxes to make sure my stuff was there I remembered the room. All of the memories that had existed because of our blossoming relationship. Now they were gone. Just husks of my last few years.

I picked up the first of the boxes and stacked it on the second. It was books and clothes, feeling quite heavy but I managed to lift them both without dropping them. After taking a few deep breaths I walked out to the hallway and back to the living room.

Clay POV

Monica appeared back in the hallway with her gaze lowered, she seemed upset about something but neither me nor Fundy knew what it could be. She looked over at me. “Perhaps you should go and help George. He seemed lost.”
“Lost?” Fundy asked, lifting his head.

“Yes. he was just staring off into space.” She said, breaking her gaze away from me to look out of the window. “I would have asked him about it but it is clear that she hates me. I am so sorry, I should have been more careful that night with the lipstick… all of those nights. Then he wouldn’t be this betrayed and hurt.”

Fundy didn’t speak at all, instead just glancing down with dim eyes. Neither of them seemed motivated to do anything and I sighed. “How about I go and talk to him? Or offer to help carry some boxes?” I asked. None of us spoke after that and without a clear answer I went out to the hallway to find him.

As I reached the door though I spotted him coming back down, carrying two boxes. He didn’t glance at me as he quietly muttered. “All the boxes in the bedroom are mine. You know where it is from when you were here on my birthday.”
“I’ll go grab some.” I told him, heading to his old room.
______________________________________
1280 words

Aren't ex-boyfriend interactions fun?