Chapter 15: Ambulance

Clay POV.

“What’s going on?” I asked, standing up from the table and moving towards the window. Niki and I had just been trying to sit down and share some snacks as an afternoon snack when an ambulance went zooming past and a few police cars followed. “Why is there an ambulance passing? Isn’t this town meant to be safe? Where are they all going?”

Her eyes widened and she joined me at the window. “It must be something to do with George.” She stated knowingly, causing me to glance over at her with an eyebrow raised.
“What could be happening?” I asked. “Why would George need all of that?” She watched me move towards the door and head outside.

Concern was building up inside of me as I stepped out. I ignored the blinding light of the late afternoon which shone on my face, just lowering my gaze so I could see any other emergency service vehicles passing that may have been sent to George's.

Niki’s voice was soft as she followed me. “I’m not too sure.” She told me. “I doubt it’s good.” Other people went onto the street as well, all seeming confused as to what was happening. Although I could not see the vehicles anymore, their flashing lights painted the street bright red and blue. People were all muttering to each other, wondering what was wrong.

A buzzing appeared in my ear and a voice spoke up. “Good afternoon everyone, there is a code R in progress, signal has been cut. Please return to your homes for the rest of the day and we will contact you when everything has returned to normal.” It repeated that message a few times.

The people all began muttering to each other but did as asked. Everyone slowly began travelling back into the house. Some young kids were taken by their parents while questioning what was going on. As Niki led me inside I couldn’t help but ask her the same thing. “So… what exactly is a ‘code R’?” I questioned.

She sat down at the table, allowing us to go back to our afternoon snack and accommodation while she sighed. “The ‘R’ stands for revealed. It means that George found out something which he wasn’t meant to find out.”
“Like the fact that he is in a TV show?” I asked, my brows furrowed. She shrugged.

Before saying anything else the blond woman took a sip of her drink. “It could mean that.” She told me. “But it could also mean something that he wasn’t meant to find out, such as his boss talking about how he is meant to be fired in a few weeks, or the winning lottery numbers early.”

My eyes narrowed, letting out a hum. “So what kind of thing could have happened that resulted in ambulances and police cars going to his house.”
“I’m not sure.” She muttered. After a moment she smiled. “So do you want to do something? We could find a movie or a recipe to cook?”

I smiled at her, she was clearly wanting to just find something to pass the time, but I just wasn’t in the mood at the moment. “I’m sorry Niki,” I said to her. “I’m thinking that maybe I could go for a walk or something so that I can see more of the town.”
“But we’ve been told to stay inside.” She reminded me.

“Yeah, I know.” I reasoned. “But Jimmy and the other people in charge are fine with it.” Niki still seemed uncertain and so I comforted her. “Don’t worry, I’ll only be gone for ten minutes at most, then we can watch a movie or bake a cake or do whatever else you want.” Eventually she nodded and I stood up. “I’ll be back soon.” I added a final time to reassure her.

She stood back and watched as I pulled my shoes on before slipping out of the front door. I considered inviting her along with me but I was planning on going near George’s house, mainly out of curiosity as to what was going on. 

I looked around and saw the ambulance and police cars outside of the house which belonged to George. A crowd of people were outside all chatting, all dressed either in uniforms belonging to emergency service, or in pure black clothes. My brows furrowed, especially when they wheeled an unconcious George out on a stretcher.

Fundy, alongside Karl and Sapnap I managed to recognise. The three of them were all crowded around a screen of some kind, all three of them arguing. Nobody was paying attention to me, all focusing on what was going on. After the ambulance had driven off I decided to move closer, so that I could listen to their conversation.

“-just saying, maybe it would be best to write Fundy out now.” Sapnap said, a grumbled snort as he crossed his arms. He was standing beside Karl, seemingly at odds with the redhead.
“Hey, that's not fair.” Fundy protested. “When I last reviewed my contract I had another four months before I quit. Just admit you want to be the star.”

“We deserve to be the stars much more than you do.” Karl scoffed. “Do you know how annoying it is to play George’s best friends? He’s the most irritating person on the planet.”
“And you think it’s better for me?” Fundy scoffed. “I have to date him! I’ve had to have sex with him! I’m not gay and I have to do all that for the illusion.”

“At least the two of us aren’t dumb enough to wear a shirt with lipstick on it.” The ravenette glared. “Wasn’t this show not meant to be a sitcom?”
“He’s right, Fundy.” Karl nodded. “A real professional would check their outfit before interacting with George, it seems to me that you don’t care about your job.”

It honestly shocked me how much discontent they seemed to have towards George. It was shocking that they were so open with it, especially when I had watched them on TV and they were so kind to him.

The arguing wasn’t able to continue as a voice came out of the computer. It wasn’t someone who I personally knew from the show, yet there were hundreds of employees who made up the crew to keep the illusion alive. “You guys need to stop arguing.” The man on the call sighed. “Jimmy is upset with you, Fundy, but that is a discussion for another time.”

“So what’s happening?” Karl asked, his argument with Fundy seemingly slipping from his mind. “What does Jimmy want us to do?”
“Santi and I are looking into some stuff.” The man stated. “The medication administered should make the last few hours a little fuzzy for him though.”

“Anyway.” He continued. “I am also having Amy, Tom, and Lee come up with ideas and inspiration for you guys and the doctors when George wakes up, which should be in about six hours by the way.” The three of them nodded. “Jimmy wanted me to let you know to head to the hospital in five hours, each of you in a different car.”

All of them nodded. I sighed and turned around, not wanting to listen to their conversations any more, just deciding to head home to Niki.
_____________________________________
1226 words