Chapter 2: Birthday breakfast

George POV.

Kisses peppered my neck, although meant with kindness and genuine love it felt like each touch was drilling into my skin. My eyes opened, seeing Fundy pull away and look at me fondly. “Good morning birthday boy.” He spoke happily. I resisted the urge to groan. It was my birthday and I was being woken up by my boyfriend.

I blinked tiredly at him. “Why did you wake me up?” I asked, not trying to hide my bitterness and annoyance. “I wanted to sleep in on my birthday.”
“Well… I’m sorry it’s just I wanted to make breakfast and then get ready to sort out your birthday party. It’s all anyone is talking about.”

As I examined his face I noticed that he had not had a shower, however he was somehow neat. It made me envious as I rolled over and refused to make eye contact. His hair was neat and his eyes were bright, there was some stubble on his face however even that didn’t seem to make him appear more tired.

“So what kind of breakfast do you want?” He asked, ignoring the fact that I had turned away. “You love WonderWaffles. I mean they go with anything; fruit, syrup, butter, whatever you are wanting honey.” I glanced over at the pet name and he continued. “Plus you could have a nice warm mug of Hot Chocolate, coming from Charlie Slime’s choc mix.”

“Whatever.” I grumbled. “Just let me sleep for a little bit longer.” Once again I rolled over, pulling the covers over my head and attempting to drift off to sleep. From behind me I noticed the weight shifting off of the bed as Fundy left, followed shortly after by the click of the door.

When I was alone I rolled over again, looking up towards the roof and sighing. It just felt like today was much more effort than it was worth, as though I wasn't getting anything out of allowing Fundy to go all out on this. In fact it felt almost unfair for him. He was doing all of this stuff which did not benefit me and ended up being a waste of his time.

I climbed out of bed, despite knowing that Fundy was wanting to give me breakfast in bed. I’d take a shower first, then if I felt like it I’d be sitting down on the bed ready for my waffles. Perhaps I would tell him that I was needed at the office, so I could spend the day doing something I wanted instead of being pampered by him as he prepared for my party.

After walking slowly over to the closet I grabbed myself a black shirt and some blue jeans, deciding that I’d also put on a hoodie over-top, then I scuttled into the bathroom. Usually I took my time in the shower, but today I was in more of a rush.

When I was out and sitting on the bed Fundy walked in. His face fell and his shoulders slumped. But his sadness disappeared quickly and he smiled again. “I made your breakfast.” He beamed, moving over and setting down his tray on my lap while cocking his head. “I hope that you like it, baby.” He grinned.

“Thank you.” I responded, adjusting the tray before sipping at my hot chocolate. I smiled at him. “You added marshmallows.” I noted and he nodded proudly.
“Just how you like it.” His hands were clamped together as he watched me eat, something strange and somewhat creepy.

“Oh, and I got you a gift as well. Lots of people helped me pick out something that was perfect for you.” As he spoke he stood up and hurried out of the room. The moment he was gone my grin dropped into a frown. I still felt that guilt because of all of the effort he was putting in, and how happy he was compared to me.

“Fundy.” I sighed when he came back into the room. “I feel like you are putting too much effort into this.” I muttered, seeing him carrying a small box. It wasn’t a big present but knowing him it was expensive. This was the opposite of the gift that I had gotten him, choosing a romantic meal because everything I planned on buying seemed to be sold out.

“Here.” He said, looking at me lovingly as he passed the box. I thanked him, my hands thumbing over the velvet box. “I saw it and immediately fell for you.” After a moment of cautiousness I opened the box, seeing a beautiful necklace made of silver and gemstones. Words were imprinted on a silver pendant in the middle, saying ‘my truest love’.

The item was truly beautiful, but it made me feel guilt. My head was just running wild with that thought as he smiled at me. “Do you like it?” He asked, his eyes shining and hopeful even though he likely knew how I felt.

“Yes.” I murmured. It was beautiful and I loved it, it was an amazing gift, but I had little love for Fundy and so it felt unfair for me to allow him this. To spend so much money on me when I was unsure if I truly loved him. As I closed the box I could see that he was upset. “I’m sorry.” I continued. “I need to go to work.”

“You do?” He asked me, still seeming sad. I nodded, muttering about issues which didn’t actually exist however he didn’t know that. “Okay then. Just tell me what time you are going to be home and I will have everything ready by then.”
“I’m sorry.” I muttered. “But you don’t need to stress about my party so much.”

“Oh but I do.” He nodded. “It is 25 years, a big celebration.” I wondered why he was so excited to celebrate 25 years of my extraordinarily boring life, but I didn’t question anything out loud.
“Okay, have fun planning then. I’ll be back… whenever.” My words trailed on as I climbed out of the bed, setting the necklace on the bedside table and kissing his cheek goodbye.

I lowered my head as I stepped outside. It was close to the time when the bus would pass by our street, however I had no plans on riding it to work. Instead I was going to walk, somewhere where I could spend the day and forget about Fundy’s antics. I said hello to everyone I passed but other than that I was quiet and with my head down.

Perhaps I would just find a new spot to hide out, one where Bad wouldn’t be able to find me, and there wouldn’t be any weirdly quiet birds. I obviously couldn’t go to my parents or friends since they would either be telling me that I was wrong about Fundy, or they would be helping Fundy set up for the party.

However as I was walking I lifted my gaze to see Niki, a friend and coworker of mine, talking to a blond man who I didn’t recognise.
______________________________________
1202 words

Okay, that is the last chapter for today. So have fun with this.