Chaptwr 22: The Field

Clay POV.

My eyes widened at the video, I hadn’t moved them away from the screen since George had stormed out of the house. I watched as he walked the entire way to a field on the outside of town. Without wasting any time thinking anything I stood up and pocketed my phone. “Niki!” I called out to the woman who I hadn’t talked to in an hour. “I’m going into town.”

I heard something in response which sounded like an ‘okay’, but it was her saying that was fine and so I left, walking out of the house after putting my shoes on. Before I stepped out though my hand moved to my ear, holding the earpiece which I had been given. After a few moments of hesitation I set it down beside the door before leaving.

To fill up the silence I turned on the radio, hearing songs from artists I actually recognised from the outside world. It surprised me but I guess since these songs didn’t expose the reality of George’s life they were fine.

The car stayed on the speed limit, which was fine, however after driving for a bit the radio began cracking before the music fully faded. “Clay, where are you going?” It wasn’t Jimmy who answered, instead it was Chandler, one of Jimmy’s assistants.
“Just for a drive.” I answered, although I wasn’t sure if he could hear me.

“Where are you driving?” He asked me. I wasn’t sure if he was monitoring me through a camera in the car or just from cameras on the street.
“Just… around.” I answered before turning off the radio so he wouldn’t be able to talk to me. Just in case he was listening in to me I added on. “Don’t worry.”

Just after saying that I turned off a road I had seen George go down earlier, I had memorised the path he walked. I slowed to a stop by a white fence not too far away and climbed it, seeing a figure sitting under a tree in the distance. I walked over, perhaps I could have run but I didn’t want to seem like a desperate creep.

As I got closer George lifted his head and sniffled. “What are you doing here?” He asked, slight anger and annoyance on his face, however that was hidden behind the shiny tears on his cheeks. “Why are you here?”

“I saw you.” I explained. “When I was driving. You were crying and so I decided to come and check on you.” To avoid any suspicion I added on. “I hope it isn’t anything to do with us hanging out earlier.” It took a while but he eventually shook his head.
“It’s nothing to do with you.” He told me.

“Oh… well would you like to talk about it?” He shrugged and so I asked him another question. “Would I be able to sit down?” I questioned, and this time he nodded, so I settled myself on the grass beside him. I kept about a foot between us so that he didn’t feel as uncomfortable and I just waited. I didn’t want to rush or freak him out.

Eventually he let out an uncertain sigh. “Have you met Fundy?” He asked me, and I was cautious but eventually I responded.
“Yeah, I know Fundy.” I responded, cautiousness sweeping through me. I didn’t know what he was wanting to ask, and I didn’t want to accidentally say something to upset him more.

“What did you think of him?” George wiped his eyes, wrapping his arms around his legs. The brunette kept his gaze down. I didn’t want to say something to piss him off and so I cautiously formed up my answer before actually responding.
“Truth be told I don’t think he’s the best.” I said, thinking it was what George would want to hear.

“After all, at your birthday you told me that you didn’t want a party and he threw you one despite that. Plus you’ve said some other stuff.” I then hesitated. “Are you sure you are okay with me saying this?” I spoke more softly. “I mean he is your…”
“He’s not my boyfriend any more. Or I don’t know…”

I didn’t say anything, my lips pursing into a line. Obviously I knew about what was going on, with Fundy cheating on George, but I didn’t say anything. “Fundy cheated on me.” George confessed, tears running down his face again. “I found a second phone, one I didn’t recognise. There were conversations between him and a girl. He’s been going behind my back.”

“Oh…” I knew that of course. “I’m so sorry.” For a moment I didn’t say anything but then I eventually decided on what to say to him. “I’ve had a girl date me in the past, she only wanted me for my money. When I found out I broke up with her and it hurt a lot. She was my everything… y’know? I know it’s different from what you are going through, but still.”

This was a true story, it had been circling in the news for years about how I used to date a girl who was only after the money I had earnt from acting. She had been caught pocketing my money to gamble and it was rumoured that she was cheating on me but it was never confirmed.

“Really?” George asked, raising a brow and I nodded at him. His breath shuddered and I wondered what he was thinking about. Eventually he got the confidence to speak up. “Can I tell you something? Something that I haven’t really told anyone before?” I was cautious and  glanced over at where I was certain a camera was.

If George told me anything, then the entire world would be able to see it. Even Fundy would be able to see what George felt about him. Yet this would be a chance to gain George’s trust, by showing him that I could be trusted. “You can tell me anything.” I promised.
“Well…” He hesitated. “I’m not sure if I even did love Fundy.”

I didn’t say anything, just letting him sit there and gain the confidence to continue talking. “It’s been like that for months. He is… was a nice guy, but it just felt like he didn’t care about my needs or my interests. I’ve told lots of people about this before but they all tell me that I’m just being paranoid.”

When I thought he was done he kept going. “Truth be told, I felt betrayed when I found out he was cheating on me, as anyone would. But it wasn’t really heartbreak. I don’t know how else to explain it. You probably think I sound weird.”
“Not at all.” I responded, giving him a small and caring smile.

“Really?” I just nodded at him. Much to my surprise he grinned and leaned on me. “Thanks Clay, you are sweet.” Without him looking at me I grinned as well, happy about the fact he was so comfortable around me. But my smile quickly disappeared when I saw a brunette running across the field towards us.
______________________________________
1197 word