Chapter 29: The Sea

Chapter written by Ezra. Not Smut, but he wanted a go writing some tragic backstory stuff, so here you guys go.

TW: death
______________________________________
George POV.
13 years ago

“Are you sure we should be doing this?” I glanced back towards the town, the silhouettes of buildings with their windows glowing in the evening light. My friends were fine though, both grabbing my hands and continuing to pull me down towards the waving water.

“Yes, we’ll be fine George.” Quackity told me, continuing to lead me towards the water. “We all know how to swim, we did those programs with the school.”
“But shouldn’t we have at least told our parents we were out here?” I attempted to weakly pull away again. “What if something happens?”

“Nothing will happen.” Techno reassured. “It’s a warm evening and we should go for a swim to cool off.” He then decided to add. “Unless you are too scared.”
“Honestly you being scared will be the thing to kill us.” Quackity snickered. I looked awkward, shifting back and forth when they finally dropped my hand.

They both turned to look at me, standing a few feet away from the water. All of us were barefeet, running here from Quackity’s house which was near the beach. We were all also in shorts and shirts, clothes which would be fine to jump into the water with. ”Join us George, it’ll be fun.”

I was cautious, but trusted my friends. The water was calm after all and we were all competent swimmers. So we should realistically be fine. I didn’t say anything though, instead just giving a small, meek nod. The two of them grabbed me again and pulled me into the water, chuckling and teasing me like the twelve year olds they were.

The water lapped at us, cold and chilling in the warm air. It was a perfect feeling, with us occasionally shooting one another with waves of salty water which stung the sides of our faces. I have to admit that many of my fears disappeared as we continued to make our way further out to sea, until we couldn’t feel the sand beneath us and were left treading water.

“This is a little far.” I cautiously chuckled. “What if something happens?” As we got further out I felt the waves growing. Instead of the gentle bob of waves we were pulled around, occasionally being dragged under the surface before pulling ourselves back out. “Maybe we should go back.”

“Stop being such a pussy.” Quackity said, rolling his eyes, or at least I think he was rolling his eyes. But then his gaze softened slightly. “But if you are so scared then we’ll go back in. Just say that you are.”
“Quackity that might be a bit far.” Techno hesitated.

It felt as though the whole ocean was crushing down on me as they watched. Even with Techno saying the other’s teasing was too far they both still waited expectantly for my answer. “Well?” Quackity prompted when I hesitated.
Seeing their lack of interest I sighed. “Fine… we can stay if you guys want.”

The water brushed through my hair, sticking it against my scalp as though it was a dog licking me in thanks. I watched the two of them as the waves continued to grow. Eventually they were high enough that I gave up. It was too dangerous and I called out to the pair of them. “Quackity?! Techno!? Where are you?” There was no response, I began to get nervous.

“I-I’m going to go back now…” I announced, treading the water was beginning to get tiring, I just wanted to stop and my arms ached. “Guys?" There was no response. I opened my mouth to say something more but the saltwater. After spitting it out I began paddling, the wind stinging at my neck.

It stung, my entire body stung. As I tried to swim my way to the shore I felt my body getting ripped around. My eyes were unable to see, my lungs were unable to fill with oxygen, and my fingers were all numb. It felt like rain was also spluttering from above, but I couldn't be sure. All I could focus on was going forward.

The land returned under me and just as I began to stumble I felt a pair of arms quickly grab me. Two people pulled me from the water and as I coughed the salt from my lungs I glanced around. "George." I heard my father's voice and meekly looked up at him. "What happened? Why were you in the water?"

A numb, shaking hand moved to my throat, unable to comprehend a word to say. Another voice, Techno's father Philza, spoke up. "George, where is Techno? And Quackity? Where are they?" I looked around.

"They were…" I cut myself off. The water was dark with the clouds and rough with the wind. My eyes widened, tears brimming. "T-they were…" It was gone, nobody was there. I shivered, breaking my gaze away from the water. Tears rolled down my face. "They- I was with them. I was with them."

Where were they? They had been alright when I was there earlier. Where were they? Quackity had told me to say something to get them in from the water and I didn't. So it's my fault if anything happened to them. Where were they?

"We have to go find them." Philza said. He was one of the two holding my arms as I continued to shake from the cold and the anxiousness. When I was led closer to the water though I pulled back, being unable to bring myself any closer. All I could do was focus on the distance where I thought we had been, even the sounds of the adults shouting fizzled out.

I fell back, sobbing as the water from the sea reached my feet and licked at them with icy cold salty water. It made me freak out. I just wanted to go back inside, yet I couldn’t bring myself to move as I felt my breathing spike. “George, come on.” Quackity’s dad spoke up and I just shook my head, unable to say anything, unable to move any closer.

I just sobbed. “George.” My father moved over to me, leaving me unable to move as he held my back. I just sobbed as he observed me. Without saying anything he lifted me up and I grabbed desperately at him, wanting something familiar to hold. He didn’t say anything as he carried away my soaked, shaking form.

I don’t know what happened to my best friends. The sea had taken them and it was all my fault.
I was responsible for my two best friends dying.

All I could do was lay pathetically in my father's arms as he carried me back to shore, with me painfully knowing deep down that I would never see my two best friends again.
______________________________________
1200 words

If I had a nickel for every time George got trauma from being in the sea and someone drowned I would have two nickels.
Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.