Chapter 1: A Genuine Life

Okay, first actual chapter.
______________________________________
George POV.

“Why are you frowning so much darling?” My gaze flickered up from my computer towards my boyfriend, Fundy. He tilted his head at me and smiled, a caring look which I did not respond to. In fact, his mood made me feel sour.

I had nothing against him. He was nice, I cared about him. But I had no romantic interest in him at all. Despite the fact that he was nice it felt like the whole world was pressuring us together and it was usually too much. It just annoyed me that when I voiced my disinterest my family and friends told me I was overreacting.

Almost every night after Fundy had fallen asleep I found myself snaking out of our shared bed and dozing off on the couch. I’d just return back to bed when he woke up and he was never the wiser, or if he was the wiser he didn’t say anything about it. As he smiled down at me though alongside the sour mood I felt quite guilty.

“It’s nothing.” I said, managing to smile. “This line of code just isn’t working. I want to be done before dinner but I might end up working until midnight.”
“At least you are working from home though. That way I get to see you.” He grinned. “Even though it means it is much harder to do party planning.”

The redhead grinned, before noting my expression and frowning again. “George, is something wrong? You don’t seem happy.”
“I… I think I just have a migraine.” I muttered, an excuse which I was not confident if I believed what I said or not. “I’m going to go out for a walk.”

“Okay honey.” He took a step back. “Maybe before you go though you could have some Elytra-Style Panadol.” He offered. “The most fast acting Panadol on the market, it can cure migraines, stomach pain, and cramps.”
“Oh…” I noted his smile as he offered me the box. “No thank you, I just need fresh air.”

A frown appeared on his face but he nodded nonetheless. I shut down my computer and walked out the front door of our house. Well it wasn’t really my house, more of Fundy’s. I was just living here after his parents died. It was really traumatic for him and I ended up comforting him through the brunt of it. Perhaps it was rude to say but looking after him felt exhausting.

All of the neighbours were outside, enjoying the sunshine and most of them turned to smile and wave at me. “Hey.” I greeted them, managing to smile back at them. Other than that my head was down and I kept heading towards the park at the end of the road.

This was the only place I truly felt alone. No cars, no friends, no family, it was just me and the birds. Nobody was there to watch or judge me. I settled down on a bench, taking slow inhales of the beautiful flowers nearby. The calming aura of nature made me feel like the rest of the world forgot about me and I have my own peace and quiet to entertain me.

I wondered what Fundy was doing right now, since I often suspected that despite how nice he was to me he didn’t actually love me. Of course he often tried to give me kisses or do something more intimate than that, however he never seemed like he was completely interested in it.

Yet whenever I brought this up, not just to Fundy but to any of my friends or even my parents, I was ignored. None of them seemed to think that this was a big issue, or said that I was thinking too deeply into this. Part of me had considered couples therapy but I was afraid that she would say the same thing everyone else had.

Suddenly someone broke through the bushes, before his eyes widened and he grinned. “Hey George,” Bad grinned at me, and I gave a wry smile in response. “How are you going?”
“Oh hi.” I responded. “I’m not too good. I decided to come out here for some fresh air since the house just… feels stuffy.”

“Well that’s not very good.” He said, taking a seat next to me as he bit his lip. “Is this another ‘Fundy doesn’t love me’ rant? Cause I am sure you are just overthinking…” He paused for a moment before continuing. “After all, Fundy is always so eager to help you with your parties. What was he doing this year again?”

“Some big block party… he always makes such a big deal and it’s not really my thing.” I stated, my gaze low at my feet as they kicked at the grass.
“But if he is putting so much effort in then surely he loves you. You wouldn’t do all this for a person that you hate. Plus, 25 years is something worth a massive celebration.”

My face furrowed. I mean Bad was someone who I ranted to multiple times and he constantly tried to reassure me that Fundy was good. It was enough to make me learn to drop the subject around him. I just kept kicking the grass below me and he shuffled closer. “Soooo…” he hummed, dragging out the sound. “What are you wanting for your birthday?”

“I don’t really care.” I muttered, shaking my head. I lifted my gaze up a moment later, looking towards a bird which was sitting in a tree. It was strangely silent, and seemed to be watching me with a beady eye. My brows furrowed, basically forgetting what I had been talking about as I studied its strangely silent demeanour.

Suddenly I jolted as I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Are you alright?” Bad asked, catching my attention and I looked away from the bird.
“Yeah… I was just thinking. I guess a movie voucher is good.” I shrugged.
“Okay, I can get you and Fundy tickets.” He nodded.

It annoyed me. I did not want to go to a movie with Fundy. As I huffed out I looked over towards the bird again only to see that it had flown away. Bad settled down, smiling as he looked down towards the grass. “I’m looking forward to your party, it gives me a chance to see Skeppy.” He confessed.

“Oh, really?” I had heard him ranting about Skeppy quite a bit, and the brunette beside me nodded in confirmation while fidgeting with his fingers. It was quite obvious that he had a bit of a crush, and seemed to decide that I was the one to confess this to. Likely I would be expected to play matchmaker for him.

“Yes, but I just don’t know how to get him to talk to me.” He answered. “Not outside of just a hello or whatever… Do you think that you could help me?”
“Well…” Honestly I was planning on stealing a slice of cake and hiding in the house throughout my party, but seeing Bad desperate I couldn’t help but nod. “I guess I could…”

“Thank you so much.” He hugged me, something that he often did. “Honestly you are the most selfless person that I knew. "Thank you George.” After a moment he stood up, leaving me alone in the bushes after waving goodbye.
______________________________________
1237 words